We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Slack cottage beware!

Adelaide
Level Contributor
15 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Slack cottage beware!

I have learnt a lesson! Usually I book hotels and b& b's recommended through trip advisor's wonderful site. On this one occasion I did not and I really regret this decision.

Whilst Slack cottage near Hawkshead and Ambleside is idyllic in it's location and well appointed the owners were very inhospitable and made us feel uncomfortable and unwelcome in their home.

They had rules printed and framed on each wall of the room, listing what you could not do eg not to have the volume of tv over 35, not to use the breakfast room except at breakfast , to keep your bedroom door shut to keep house locked at all times, to use garden at own risk to use car park at own risk , not allowed to borrow any books without permission . These may on paper seem reasonable but it was the attitude of the owners we found offensive.

They ran their b& b like a military camp even summonsing us to breakfast with a bell. They told us plainly not to tell them where we were next headed because ' frankly they didn't care!"

We understand the need for security but we did find it odd when the owner locked my husband out in the car park when he was just unloading the car! and then failed to let him back in when he rang the doorbell!

They told us they don' t use trip advisor and they scorned it! I now know why- clearly their reviews would be terrible.

So my lesson is don't book anything unless you see it reviewed by other honest travelers on the wonderful trip advisor site!

busselton
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Slack cottage beware!

We stayed at this same Bed and Breakfast and had a wonderful time....infact we are booked in again later in the year. The house is beautiful and the owners were lovely, we understand the need for consideration it is after all someones home and we were just lucky enough to be able to share it for a short time. We would highly recommend this as a superb destination for your travels if you want to experience a real lakeland cottage with a very personal feel to it.

So Slack Cottage we will see you again soon and can not wait.:)

The Macleans

Solihull
Level Contributor
3,878 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Slack cottage beware!

Interesting update from hanlane.

Member since 2009, but first comment, defending a B&B.

Not the owner (of friend of the owner) is it?

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Slack cottage beware!

one first poster says its awful, one first poster says its wonderful, shall we call it a draw.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Slack cottage beware!

I think you may be right, Guilbert53. Hanlane33 may be the owner of Slack Cottage - the contact email address on their website is lane330@..................

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
742 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Slack cottage beware!

One more to add to the list of counterfeit first posters. Are we likely to see a second? Dont hold your breath.

Ambleside, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Slack cottage beware!

As the owner of Slack Cottage I am very concerned to see the comments made by 'Adelaide'. Had they exprssed their points to me personally or had not put the positive comments that they did, in the visitors book, I could understand it. I pride myself on the standard of both our welcome and accommodation. Hundreds of happy and appreciative guests have stayed with us over the last ten years, many return time after time. One negative does not prove anything but the supportive and grateful letters & e-mails of thanks that we recieve does. A typical direct quote from our visitors book;

16.1.11 Malcolm & Donna from Gloucestershire, "Fabulous stay as usual, this 3rd time, is our favourite place with hosts that are so kind and friendly, we will be back, (again)".

Ambleside, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Slack cottage beware!

Further to the above; remarks from our visitors book both before and after 'Adelaide' stayed at Slack Cottage.

8.4.11 This is my first time here, It's fantastic cottage, I'll be back again, Pottra So, from Thailand.

10.4.11 Heaven on Earth !! Brilliant food, accommodation + hospitality, perfect!! Tony & Judy, from Lutterworth.

11.4.11 Wonderful accommodation and hospitality, bed like sleepng on a cloud! Denis & Anne. from Keighley.

17.4.11. Wonderful homely accommodation. Excellent room, food and hosts. Alistair. from Parbold.

22.4.11. Superb accommodation, wonderful breakfast. Very relaxing, thank you. John & Ellen. from Republic of Ireland.

25.4.11. Truly marvelous in all respects! Great location, wonderful & helpful hosts! Thank you. Mark & Safia, from Dorset.

26.4.11. Thank you for a wonderful stay. Great location and hosts. John & Helen, from New Zealand.

I rest my case........!

The owner of Slack Cottage B&B.

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
742 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Slack cottage beware!

Perhaps if you were to also transcibe the "Positive comments" previously mentioned as entered in the visitors book by "Adelaide" He will have an opportunity to respond ?

Hull
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Slack cottage beware!

I had the misfortune to stay at this place with a friend a few years ago. On arrival the female owner was welcoming, all sweetness and light, looked vaguely hippyish, and there were lots of good books and DVDs on the shelves. I thought 'great stuff'....then my friend and I went out for the evening, but on the way back had we a problem with the car. We arrived back about THREE MINUTES later than the stated curfew time.

The owner went berserk.!!!..she unleashed a torrent of abuse on us, literally screaming in our faces! My friend was visibly shaken, I was fuming, and I wish to this day I had put a complaint in. This woman is a Jekyll and Hyde character who obviously has some serious mental problems! I noted the owners also ran a cafe in the town - obviously business wasn't so good!

I'd rather sleep on the banks of Lake Windermere than visit this place ever again!!!

Adelaide
Level Contributor
15 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Slack cottage beware!

I have travelled extensively and agree with you that Slack cottage near Ambleside is one of the only places that made us feel very uncomfortable, to the point of considering leaving the property. If it had not been school holidays I would not have stayed.The owners demanded cash payment at the beginning of the stay and certainly had peculiar traits. I felt I was being watched by them and they rearranged our belongings in our room. Overall a very unpleasant experience that I hope no one else needs to endure!