We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ambleside or Bowness-on-Windermere

israel
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Ambleside or Bowness-on-Windermere

We (2 adult and a kid) are traveling from Manchester to lake district by train, We would like to use public transportation to see the lake district area. I am wondering where is best to stay , Ambleside, or Bowness-on-Windermere. Thanks in advance.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,139 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ambleside or Bowness-on-Windermere

Of the two I would go for Ambleside as it gets less of the day tourist / coach party brigade.

However personally I'd go to Keswick (train to Penrith then bus from outside the station).

Level Contributor
3,402 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ambleside or Bowness-on-Windermere

Ambleside, its far easier for public transport round the Lakes. Bowness is also unpleasantly busy, its just a traffic jam.

Keswick is an option, it depends on your interests as to whether its a better option, Ambleside is better for traditional and obvious tourist attractions, Keswick is better for quiet and relaxation. Both have merits if you want to do walking.

3. Re: Ambleside or Bowness-on-Windermere

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 April 2015, 17:09
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,153 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ambleside or Bowness-on-Windermere

I'm with Alanrow. Ambleside is the better of the two you mentioned, but Keswick is really great.

Kendal, United...
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ambleside or Bowness-on-Windermere

If you are travelling by train, Kendal makes a great base.

The train goes to Oxenholme the Lake District (on the outskirts of Kendal).

There is a branch line that runs from Oxenholme, through Kendal and on to Windermere. Kendal station is central to town so you would have all the restaurants, etc. of the town in easy walking distance. You would also have easy access to other parts of the county from the bus and train stations in Kendal.

Plus it's a lovely town with lots of character. :)

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ambleside or Bowness-on-Windermere

Ambleside for sure (less busy :) )

Cheshire
Level Contributor
883 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ambleside or Bowness-on-Windermere

Ambleside.Its a lovely place with cafe"s,restaurants,pubs,shops and good walking area.

Personally,i would choose Keswick as my base if i was a first time visitor to Lake District.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ambleside or Bowness-on-Windermere

Ambleside is much better for public transport than Bowness, having buses that go directly to The Langdales, Conniston, Grasmere, Keswick and Windermere. It is also, in my opinion a much nicer place with character and charm.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ambleside or Bowness-on-Windermere

If I had to choose between those two, I'd choose Ambleside, for all the reasons mentioned above. But if you're not dead set on one or the other, Keswick is well worth considering too. Plenty to do there and good bus services.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,817 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ambleside or Bowness-on-Windermere

Ambleside is still primarily a base for fell walking, as others have said it is much quieter than Bowness, but it does have some good restaurants and cafes and a couple of decent pubs.

Bowness is more of a holiday home and day tripper place, and as people have said it does get absolutely packed on summer weekends and bank holidays. A consequence of this is that some of the pubs (especially one with tables outside) have started charging ridiculous prices for drinks and pub food. one is charging £18 to £22 for a steak, the Bistro literally across the road from it (and which is very good) does a set meal that includes steak for £16, crazy.