We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ullswater steamer, coniston gondola or derwent water cruise

Beveren, Belgium
Level Contributor
75 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
ullswater steamer, coniston gondola or derwent water cruise

We will be visiting the Lake District in August. We would like to include 1 boat trip, but I can't decide... which one should we (= family of 2 adults and 3 kids between 9 and 15) do ? the Ullswater steamer, the Coniston gondola or a cruise on Derwent Water ??

Thanks for your help...

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,324 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: ullswater steamer, coniston gondola or derwent water cruise

Definitely the Gondola

Level Contributor
3,394 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ullswater steamer, coniston gondola or derwent water cruise

Ullswater or Derwentwater as the lakes are more spectacular.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ullswater steamer, coniston gondola or derwent water cruise

Hi, I'm wondering the same thing - my partner and I will be staying in Keswick in early October and would like to do a boat trip. I'm trying to decide between the Keswick Launch and the Ullswater Steamer. In terms of an enjoyable trip, good views including an easy-medium walk, which one would you suggest?

Thanks,

Suzanne

Edited: 13 July 2011, 02:19
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,133 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ullswater steamer, coniston gondola or derwent water cruise

Both are beautiful lakes, Ullswater is my own favourite. And both have nice walks too. I would say Keswick will give you the better views. Cat Bells is the walk most people do from the Keswick launch but it is extremely popular. I was up there a couple of weeks ago and it was very busy. So much so that people were queuing to get up the second scramble. It wasn't helped by the fact that dogs were running around too waiting for their owners to follow them up or down. This is what caused part of the problem as some people couldn't tell which way the dogs were going to go around their feet so they had to stay put until the owners got them under proper control.

That aside the other benefit is that you will get an excellent view of both Derwentwater and Bassenthwaite Lake when you get to the top as well as the Newlands Valley and Borrowdale.

If you choose this just be aware that you should exercise caution going down too and I would advise some sturdy walking shoes as well as wet weather gear. TBH if it is wet the day you go be very careful as the 2nd scramble is rocky.

Both places will be less busy in early October though.

Barnard Castle...
Level Contributor
241 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ullswater steamer, coniston gondola or derwent water cruise

All three are a good choice.

If the weather is bad Derwentwater has smaller more open boats and perhaps best to avoid

The Gondola is an experience in itself but personally I prefer the walks etc on Derwent and Ullswater

Also bear in mind that all three can get very busy on weekends in particular in August, therefore midweek may be better.

Beveren, Belgium
Level Contributor
75 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ullswater steamer, coniston gondola or derwent water cruise

Thank you all for your useful comments. Bearing in mind all the replies, I think we will choose Ullswater, as I think we will like the scenery better than Derwent Water...

If I don't forget I will post some reviews once we get back ! Really looking forward now to our trip to this beautiful piece of England ! One more month before departure...

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ullswater steamer, coniston gondola or derwent water cruise

Thanks for the suggestions. Based on what I've read on TA about the walks you can do around Ullswater, we might choose the Ullswater Steamer too. We don't want to do much climbing, especially if the weather's bad. But we'll decide on the day. :)

Suzanne

Barnard Castle...
Level Contributor
241 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ullswater steamer, coniston gondola or derwent water cruise

If you don't want to do much climbing but want a good hour or two's scenic walk I'd recommend the walk round Hallin Fell from Howtown.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,133 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ullswater steamer, coniston gondola or derwent water cruise

Yes the view from Hallin Fell is excellent. There is also a reasonable lake level walk along the shore from Pooley Bridge to the boathouse and up to the campsite.

Level Contributor
3,394 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ullswater steamer, coniston gondola or derwent water cruise

Its not the flatest of walks, but the shoreline walk from Howtown to Glenridding is one of the best half day walks in the District.