We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding venue in the lake district?

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Wedding venue in the lake district?

Hya I have always wanted to get married abroad but am now thinking of the lakes so then I can have a brill honeymoon somewhere expensive and exotic!! so am thinking of the lakes, Ive only been to windermere (bowness) and love it. Ive looked online for venues in the whole of the lakes but nothing really appeals to me, Id like somewhere with lovely gardens for photos, for a small wedding of around 40 people all day with meal and DJ at night thankyou!

Muncaster Castle
Castles, Gardens, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Holker Hall and Gardens
Historic Sites, Gardens, Speciality Museums
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,475 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding venue in the lake district?

Have you looked at The Inn on the Lake? It backs onto Ullswater and has nice gardens. Always seems to be busy with weddings.

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake Garda, Lake Garda, Nago
Level Contributor
6,155 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding venue in the lake district?

I would definitely look at the Inn on the Lake. My son was married there last year and we had a wonderful weekend. Everything was so well organised and the setting is perfect. Photographs were taken by the lakeside and in the gardens.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding venue in the lake district?

I agree with above posters: the Inn on the Lake has a fantastic setting. Never been to a wedding there, but I did have dinner in their restaurant recently and was impressed. You could do a lot worse.

There's another hotel on Ullswater call the Rampsbeck hotel, at Watermillock, which also has a lovely lakeside setting, and although I've not eaten there as recently, I thought the food there was even better than the Inn on the Lake.

http://www.rampsbeck.co.uk/

I'd have a good look at both of those if I were in your position.

4. Re: Wedding venue in the lake district?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 07 August 2015, 17:30
Appleby, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding venue in the lake district?

It has to be Inn on the Lake at Glenridding - search for "Inn on the Lake, Ullswater"

London, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding venue in the lake district?

I've heard lots of lovely things about Inn on the Lake as suggested. Other places we considered were Beech Hill Hotel, Langdale Chase, The Swan at Newby Bridge.

In the end we got married at The Grange, Grange-over-Sands. Not sure it's technically the Lake District, but a beatiful venue with lovely gardens over looking Morecambe bay. http://www.grange-hotel.co.uk

You may have already done this but perhaps worth asking on some wedding forums as well for people's experiences.

Also - you can't really tell what a place is like by looking online - you need to see it in person. My advice would be to do research online and collect a shortlist of places that are suitable for your budget, numbers of guests, menu choices etc. and then go and visit, you may be surprised by what you like. I wasn't keen at all on the thought of the Grange as my sister had her wedding there (over 10 years earlier) and I wanted somewhere different, but as soon as we looked around both me and hubby fell in love with the place - we just knew it was right.

Good luck, and happy planning!

Kendal, United...
Level Contributor
262 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedding venue in the lake district?

Some others you might look at if you want to stay close to Bowness are Lindeth Howe, which has lovely gardens and good food, or if your budget will allow, Gilpin Lodge which is a really attractive upmarket hotel. A little farther away on the road between Windermere and Kendal are Merewood, as already mentioned, and Cragwood. Both have attractive gardens, particularly Cragwood, which has landscaped gardens going right down to the lake, perfect for photos.

Kendal, United...
Level Contributor
262 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wedding venue in the lake district?

Sorry, I meant Linthwaite House, not Lindeth Howe - always get them mixed up! My personal favourite would be Cragwood though, easy to get to, and a really pituresque setting.

Kendal, United...
Level Contributor
262 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wedding venue in the lake district?

Also, I meant the road between Windermere and Ambleside, I must read through my responses more carefully before posting them!

Cheshire
Level Contributor
883 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wedding venue in the lake district?

I would view "The Inn on the Lake",Lake Ullswater.

Its a lovely hotel,many weddings are held here,food is good,staff are friendly and accomodation is very good especially if you get a lake view.