We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beware Octopus travel negotiated rates with Harvey World

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
beware Octopus travel negotiated rates with Harvey World

I recently had some accomodation booked at the Swan Hotel in Garsmere by Harvey World Travel in Australia, The charge was $237.50 AUD. This is the most expensive rate for a room per night of my whole UK trip...so I was expecting something quite palace like.

It definitely was not...while a pleasant cheerful room not that $'s worth. When I asked at reception the real cost per night if you book yourself is $190.40 AUD. Yes that's an extra $47.10 AUD per room per night.

It begs belief that this can be a great rate for customers.

Octopus Travel and Harvey World Travel need to look at their negotiations again...or Macdonald Swan will be the hotel that pays the price of customers never returning.

What a rip off!!

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beware Octopus travel negotiated rates with Harvey World

You paid a $40 premium for booking with a travel agent, without even looking to see what the hotel charges online?

Why?

<<Octopus Travel and Harvey World Travel need to look at their negotiations again...or Macdonald Swan will be the hotel that pays the price of customers never returning.>>

Yeh right, because such a huge proportion of their customers come via this route, returning customers from Australia.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,566 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beware Octopus travel negotiated rates with Harvey World

You should never, ever, under any circumstances, book a UK hotel through an Australian travel agent. You will [almost] always pay more than a direct booking with the hotel, because there are two or three layers of middle-men all taking their cut.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,191 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beware Octopus travel negotiated rates with Harvey World

There are travel bargains out there, and using the Web you will find them.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
883 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beware Octopus travel negotiated rates with Harvey World

I agree with other posts,search websites or ask people on TripAdvisor what they would suggest you do via booking accomodation or tours.

Canberra
Level Contributor
193 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beware Octopus travel negotiated rates with Harvey World

I would agree that booking a hotel with an Aussie travel agent is highly likely to lead to a higher charge.

However you should always look at all of the booking agencies such as those which come up for hotels listed on TripAdvisor. The costs for one hotel we looked at (same room type, same date) were different by 50pounds on the 5 booking agencies listed. Of the two lowest quotes, one included breakfast and one didn't. Sometimes one agency will say there is no availability while another is showing vacancies.

You can often do better by booking direct but not always. I recently phoned a hotel in London to see if they could do better than a price quoted on a hotel booking site and they were not able to match the quote.

Hotel booking sites vary also, of course. Some require payment immediately, some charge a fee and with some you pay the hotel direct at the end of the stay and there are no booking fees. I have used all types and have to say that the bookings have always been fine and, at times, I've had to pay a fee etc so as to get what I wanted.

As always it's buyer beware and do your homework!

Edited: 14 August 2011, 10:28
Lake District...
Level Contributor
611 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: beware Octopus travel negotiated rates with Harvey World

In my view it is always worth booking direct with the hotel unless the price difference is significant - more chance of an upgrade as they are getting all your money and not paying commission.

I have however used Octopustravel recently to book 2 London hotels as they were cheaper and allowed cancellations with refunds which many hotels do not offer on their cheapest prices.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: beware Octopus travel negotiated rates with Harvey World

The other advantage of bookign direct with the hotel is that you know that they have your booking, and any issues can be sorted out without them and the agent blaming each other. AIUI, it's common practice for agents not to confirm bookings with a hotel until a few weeks before they stay.

Canberra
Level Contributor
193 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: beware Octopus travel negotiated rates with Harvey World

Even when booking through an agency I always confirm with the hotel directly a week or so before and have never had a problem - yet (LOL)

Edited: 14 August 2011, 13:33
9. Re: beware Octopus travel negotiated rates with Harvey World

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 19:16