We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a 3-4 day trip in Lake district with 15 month baby!

Singapore
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Planning a 3-4 day trip in Lake district with 15 month baby!

Hi,

I am planning to visit Lake district around mid - sep with my family and have a few questions. I would really appreciate if the experts can help me out.

1) Is it a good time to visit lake district?would it be very crowded?

2) whats the best one place to set a base as ideally I wont like to move to different bases with an infant.

3) Given that it would be difficult to do all the walking trips with the infant, what other activities you could suggest?any good road trips?

4) Any suggestion on any itinerary with recomended hotel stays would be great!

Guess I have asked too many questions already!

Many thanks in advance

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a 3-4 day trip in Lake district with 15 month baby!

Hello and welcome to the forum.

1. Yes it is a good time to visit the area. It will be less crowded than July and August but should still be fairly active. The main towns are usually quite busy for different reasons. These include Bowness, Ambleside, Grasmere, Windermere and Keswick.

2. If you have a young child then Ambleside or nearby would be good for a first timer who doesn't need to go fell-walking.

3. You could picnic in Fell Foot Park. You could do a lake cruise on Windermere and a steam train ride on a single round trip ticket. You could also do open top bus tours between towns. You can feed the ducks at many lakes too. Actually you could also take your infant to the visitor centre at Brockhole which is not far from Ambleside. Like Fell Foot Park it has good child friendly facilties, there is a restaurant there and you can also picnic and get on a boat. If you have a rental car then there are a number of good road trips worth doing. Then of course there are a number of Beatrix Potter attractions nearby.

4. Your best bet for itinerary would be to find an area and hotel to stay in and from there we can sort out some places of interest for you. You may find it useful to use the hotel reviews section here to help you find somewhere.

Singapore
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a 3-4 day trip in Lake district with 15 month baby!

Thanks..how would keswick be as a base location? I have heard that this town is more vibrant with some nice restaurants and pubs?

Cheshire
Level Contributor
883 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a 3-4 day trip in Lake district with 15 month baby!

Keswick has lots to offer,restaurants,cafe"s,museums,two parks called Hope & Fitz Park,boat trips on Derwentwater,theatre,tourist information centre (Moot Hall),low level walking with pushchair.

Glendale Guest House.

Friendly owners,good knowledge of area,good breakfast,value for money accomodation.Reviews on TA.

Its 5-10 mins walk from town,close to Fitz Park.

www.glendalekeswick.co.uk

The Lodore Falls Hotel.

www.lodorefallshotel.co.uk

Places to visit-:

The Cumberland Pencil Museum.

www.pencilmuseum.co.uk

Above museum is located within walking distance of town.

Trotters World of Animals.

www.trottersworld.com

Keswick also has a leisure pool for those rainy days.

Boat trip on Derwentwater.Located 5-10 mins from from town.

www.keswick-launch.co.uk

Take a walk with pushchair from Keswick Boating Landing stage to Friars Crag,great views and only takes 30 mins,well worth a walk.

Otley, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
615 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a 3-4 day trip in Lake district with 15 month baby!

In Keswick you also have a swimming pool, which for an hour or so is great, also the park near the swimming pool has a fantastic recently re-furbished play area, with set areas for certain age groups, ranging from the young ones right through to teens. my 2 love it (youngest being 2 & eldest being 6). Within half an hour or so, you can be over at Maryport, and there's a great aquarium there aswell, and if you're self catering, the other side of the quay, they have a fantastic fish co-op owned by the local fishermen. http://www.coastaquarium.co.uk/

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a 3-4 day trip in Lake district with 15 month baby!

You need one of these:

macpac.co.nz/shop/…packs-child-carriers

I can happily take my 14m daughter for 3-4hrs in this - she likes it too. We have a very old one given to us by a neighbour and it is brilliant. I last used it yesterday, for a plane trip. It's so much easier than a pram or buggy at airports. I also use it regularly for walks - did a 1 1/2 hr walk on Saturday with it. Got her to walk little bits where appropriate, then stuck her back in when the walking got tougher.

6. Re: Planning a 3-4 day trip in Lake district with 15 month baby!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 16:18