We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Castles and Stately Homes

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
297 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Castles and Stately Homes

Does anybody know of any castles or stately homes that are open to the public in October/November? I'll be in Coniston for a week from Oct 31st with my family and would love to do a tour of a castle or stately home that's not too long a drive away. I know it's out of season but if anyone knows of any good recommendations I'd be very grateful!

Lake District...
Level Contributor
574 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Castles and Stately Homes

There are probably about a dozen around the Lake District including Brantwood on Coniston itself.

Nowhere is very far in the Lakes and they can be visited in a half/full day with lunch out .

I would suggest a quick Google of "Historic Houses" Cumbria and careful checking of the listed opening times AND days would be the best way forward as this is the transitional period for opening times and you have to take into account half-term holidays.

Otley, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
534 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Castles and Stately Homes

40 minutes away driving through some great scenery (don't go onthe route that google maps suggest, go over the tops & black coombe, a slightly slower route, but a lot more scenic!) is Muncaster Castle.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
883 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Castles and Stately Homes

I agree with MadmOOse,I would recommend Muncaster Castle.

www.muncaster.co.uk

Muncaster,Himalayan gardens,maze,world owl centre,cafe and shops.

If driving here,sat nav-:CA18-1RQ.

Rydal Mount and Gardens.

Winter season 11am-4pm.

www.rydalmount.co.uk

Also may like to view-:

Hutton-in-the-Forest.

www.hutton-in-the-forest.co.uk

Holker Hall and Gardens.

www.holker.co.uk

Blackwell,The Arts and Crafts House.

www.blackwell.org.uk

Carlisle Castle.

www.english-heritage.org.uk/carlislecastle

open 10am-4pm.

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
141 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Castles and Stately Homes

Get the launch to Brantwood, which adds to the fun. Another option with amazing gardens is http://www.holker.co.uk - about 30 mins by car from Coniston

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
297 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Castles and Stately Homes

Thanks guys. UNfortunately everywhere seems to close the day/weekend we get to the Lakes! I think Brantwood stays open though and it's just around the corner from where we're staying so we could go have a look there. Thanks again!

6. Re: Castles and Stately Homes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 12:16