We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

accommodation with lake view

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
accommodation with lake view

Hi,

I am planning a long weekend in the lake district with my boyfriend mid September and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good (preferably quite small and family-run) place to stay with a view of the lake (and reasonably priced!) We want to avoid the really touristy areas like windemere but are pretty open to location apart from that.

We're open to B&Bs, self-catering and even camping if anyone has any really great spots for it.

thanks!

Lucy

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
27,996 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: accommodation with lake view

I have done a search and it may be out there but wonder if you realise what you are up against.

September is still peak season, accommodation on the lakeside is going to be reduce choice and be the most desirable and expensive. Most cottages book by the week. So you are really up against it unless someone sees your question who knows of a little treasure.

For 'reasonably price' and over a weekend, you are probably looking at B & B. I'm not sure that lakeside campsites would be allowed in the National Park.. there are some with some fabulous scenery though, of the fells.

Hope you find something because it sounds fabulous.

Edited: 23 August 2011, 19:17
Cheshire
Level Contributor
883 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: accommodation with lake view

View Park Foot camping,Pooley Bridge,its beside Lake ullswater.

Campsite has onsite bar & takeaway.

Inside Out Yurts,Seatoller Farm.

www.insideoutcamping.

Website to view.

www.lakedistrictcamping.co.uk

Bell Tent.

www.insideoutcamping.co.uk

Also view National Trust camp sites.

If your looking for mountain views,view Wasdale.The campsite is nice,close to Wasdale Head Inn.If your reasonably fit,try Scafell or Scafell Pike,both challenging walks.There are lots of walk in area,different levels.

View-:

golakes.co.uk

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,330 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: accommodation with lake view

Hi

You may want tio check out the place we have just come back from - The Eltermere Inn

See link below to my review and online photo album

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g186319-d5…

travel.webshots.com/album/580763977HiMmnb

Lake District...
Level Contributor
609 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: accommodation with lake view

I would suggest reconsidering whether you really want a view of the Lake from your room ?

How often are you going to stand there , drwa the curtains back and look at it ?

A view of the fells in my opinion might be better.

Go for accommodation offering great views from the grounds or main rooms, or one that has good views very near by - I am thinking of almost anywhere in Keswick or Borrowdale .

Just my personal opinion of course

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,330 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: accommodation with lake view

To be fair to the OP I do not think they mentioned a view from their room but rather just the property itself

Lake District...
Level Contributor
609 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: accommodation with lake view

I stand corrected - OP didnt specify room view - though many other posters do !

Leathes Head Hotel in Borrowdale ( near Keswick ) has good views of the fells and I think you can see Derwentwater. It is small and I hear good things about it even though it changed hands earlier this year - the chef apparently has stayed !

Borrowdale can be a good quiet location especially if you like walking.

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
141 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: accommodation with lake view

Didn't know Leathes Head had changed hands, I've stayed there several times with the previous owners - lovely little place. You can see Derwent Water from some of the upstairs bedrooms. Whether it is cheap enough I don't know, about £160 DBB last time I stayed.

September is actually the busiest time of year in the Lakes so weekend stays with al you are after are not likely to be cheap unless the accommodation is horrible tbh. If you are on a budget I'd compromise on the view and get somewhere a short walk away.

If money is no object then the best view in the lakes, if not the world, imho, is from Armathwaite Hall by Bassenthwaite. But I agree completely that anywhere in Borrowdale is going to be beautiful.

You could also try the place I got engaged - The Old Rectory in Torver. This has views of Lake Coniston if I remember rightly, certainly it's only a short walk from the shore anyway.

8. Re: accommodation with lake view

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2012, 00:15