We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriage Proposal Lake District

3 posts
Save Topic
Marriage Proposal Lake District

I am planning on proposing to my girlfriend in October when we visit the lakes. Im planning on doing it privatley and would like to know of any nice pic nic spots that would be suitable? or does anyone know of any good hotels that have nice grounds, which are reasonably priced?

Thanks

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriage Proposal Lake District

Hire a motor cruiser from Keswick, head out to the far end of Derwentwater and do it there. That is as long as your girlfriend likes boats and water!

Lake District...
Level Contributor
589 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriage Proposal Lake District

Agree - at the south end of Derwentwater there are a couple of very nice secluded promontories easily reached from the raised footpath - there is even a seat !

Fantastic views up Derwentwater.

Or

Castlerigg stone circle.

Falcon Crag just along from Walla Crag.

3. Re: Marriage Proposal Lake District

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 September 2011, 09:35
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,832 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriage Proposal Lake District

Castlerigg Stone Circle is very dramatic--in fact the entire Lake District is so beautiful nearly everywhere you go that I don't think you need to seek out a place for grounds, as you are surrounded by beauty.

Good luck.

@ jussieog--just post a review, please.

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriage Proposal Lake District

Ooh yes Castlerigg would be nice, but not sure you'd get it to yourself.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,631 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marriage Proposal Lake District

One of my favourite spots is Angle Tarn, which you can walk to reasonably easily from Hartsop (just below the bottom end of Ullswater). It's a really lovely location, and not usually too crowded, although I don't promise you'll have the place entirely to yourself.

If you stay at the Inn on the Lake at Glenridding, then you'll be only a short distance away from Hartsop, plus you'll be in a hotel with nice grounds. And assuming she says yes (and seriously, what girl could possibly say no when you've gone to so much trouble!), you can go back there for the wedding: by all accounts it's a great spot to get hitched as well.

Good luck!

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
141 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marriage Proposal Lake District

Hi Rob

There's a nice little privately run hotel called the Old Rectory near Torver on the shores of Lake Coniston. You could try proposing there - it worked for me:). If you do pick a hotel, make sure it's one you can afford as you'll probably want to go back there regularly. Assuming she says yes of course.

The areas around Coniston generally are not a bad idea actually, because it's much quieter than Windermere, but more accessible than the North Lakes for return visits. My favourite place is the pier at Lake Bank. There's a bench there I donated in memory of my father, you're welcome to use that:) The pier isn't open to the general public but you can use it to catch the launch that goes up and down the lake. So my suggestion would be stay in Torver or Coniston - there's plenty of inexpensive options - get a bus down to Lake Bank with the plan of getting the launch back again. This is all a very plausible "day out" plan and she won't suspect a thing. But make sure you're at Lake Bank 1/2 hr early. Unless you are very unlucky, at that time there will probably be no-one about. The bench with it's view up the lake would be perfect for popping the question, and then you can either have a blissful cruise back up the lake, or throw her/yourself off the end of the pier, depending on the answer.

You can find the launch details here

http://www.conistonlaunch.co.uk

Good luck, whatever you decide. Do let me know if you use my bench!

3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Marriage Proposal Lake District

Hi!

Just looking on the Internet at all the suggestions, I'm due to go up to the lakes with a friend to scout out a location. Il will be looking at all locations and il keep an eye out for your dads bench.

Thanks again!

Edited: 02 September 2011, 23:10
Lanzarote, Spain
Level Contributor
6,534 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Marriage Proposal Lake District

I proposed back in 2004 on a headland near The theatre on the lake at Keswick. A nice bench with fab views over Derwentwater. Great.

Good luck

Keith

Loughborough, UK
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Marriage Proposal Lake District

it's a tough call, there are so many areas of outstanding beauty, it is very much personal preference. Also, take into account the weather, it can make a place feel very different!