We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

family of 6 - October Half Term - what to do?

Solihull, United...
Level Contributor
280 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
family of 6 - October Half Term - what to do?

Hi all,

probably been asked before but a quick search doesn't reveal what I'm looking for.

Staying in Lindale for 3 nights this October half term (22nd to 25th October). 2 adults, 4 kids (6 to 15).

Not been to the Lake District before. We are driving but would like to go no more than perhaps 45 minutes distance from Lindale.

Would like to hear suggestions for an itenary please.

I was hoping to visit Muncaster Castle and spend some time on a boat on one of the lakes. Other than that I have no idea.

Exploring and activities such as climbing or biking would be good I suppose.

Many thanks.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: family of 6 - October Half Term - what to do?

How about horse riding? Suits all ages. This place is quite near, must be others around:

biglandhall.com/index.php/…

Edited: 16 October 2011, 13:53
2. Re: family of 6 - October Half Term - what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 November 2015, 17:01
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,133 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: family of 6 - October Half Term - what to do?

If the weather holds up try visiting Fell Foot Park - not far from Lindale and there is a kids adventure playground there.

A nearer castle ( but not a genuine one) is across on the west side of Windermere - Wray Castle.

I would also suggest checking out Ullswater via Pooley Bridge and also via the Inn on The Lake (go round the back of this hotel)

Worth doing a round the lake trip on a launch at Keswick - it stops off at many different places where you can get off, go for a walk and re-alight later in the day. Make sure you don't miss the timings though.

Worth doing lunch in Loweswater and going for a level walk around Loweswater or Buttermere.

If you want to hire a boat then you could do it at many different places including Windermere, Derwentwater, Coniston Water. Boat hire is generally quieter at Fell Foot Park though which is at the south side of Windermere.

A very easy walk if you fancy looking at Windermere from a little higher is Brant Fell. Within 15 minutes of being in the hustle and bustle of Bowness is this small fell which not many people go to. You can get a lovely 360 degree view from the top including the Coniston range as well as the Langdale range. It's about 40 minutes to the top.

Also consider taking some packed lunches and going for drives. I can tell you about some excellent 'cheat' routes which get you high up enough for views of Ullswater and Keswick and the northern fells.

Castlerigg Stone Circle near Keswick is worth visiting and a drive along the Honister, Wrynose, and Hardknott passes is thrilling too.

BTW, I would highly recommend you visit the village of Cartmel - you're on it's doorstep at Lindale.

Edited: 16 October 2011, 17:09
4. Re: family of 6 - October Half Term - what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 21:19