We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Full day walk for fit couple

London, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Full day walk for fit couple

Hi felow travelers, we are heading to LD tonight after work. Staying in Windermere, good car with winter tyres, two fit travelers with good equipment and fair experience with map and compass, ready for a full day walk a some scenic drive on sunday. Any sugestion for our first visit are much appretiated, good day to all of you, thanks..

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,370 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Full day walk for fit couple

What a fantastic position to be in - fully prepared for a great day walking in The Lakes. Hope the weather holds for you.

Drive to and park in Buttermere - public car park behind The Fish Hotel. Walk along the back of the lake, then turn right up to High Crag, then along the the ridge to High Stile and Red Pike, returning back down to Buttermere. This is the best day's walking I've ever had, wonderful views.

Mike

London, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Full day walk for fit couple

Nice one, looking into it, thanks a lot! It suppose to be windy, but great visibility,we have good expedition clothing and europien sense for winter. Cant wait..

Lake District...
Level Contributor
605 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Full day walk for fit couple

There is snow on the tops this morning and possibly ice, be prepared for some slippery descents.

Unless the visibility is good I would avoid going on the tops - there is little point except for the exercise and the challenge -but plan a low level walk.

Wait until Sat evening before finalising your plans and check the mountain forecast .

London, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Full day walk for fit couple

Thanks for the advice, we have the walk planned for sat and some driving around for sun before heading back south. The forecast is not that bad for sat so fingers crossed its half decent. If not, we stay low and just explore the lakes from the car and thrue some lovely pub window ;) thanks..

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,162 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Full day walk for fit couple

I agree - the weather forecast at MWIS is not looking particularly inviting for the weekend - cloudbase levels that are changeable, westerly gales and snow does not entice me personally. I assume you are looking for a longish walk on Saturday with a scenic drive on Sunday. In which case a lower level walk would probably be best.

AM's Buttermere suggestion is very scenic. Fantastic view of Fleetwith Pike from the top end of Buttermere.

You could also look at Loweswater in that area. There is a circular walk which you could kick off at Maggies Bridge at the south side and go past Carling Knott and Burnbank Fell as you head northwards. The loop south will take you along the shore of Loweswater and back towards your start point. There is a section of forest here too. Allowing for photo opps my guess is the walk will take around 3-3.5 hours.

For a fantastic view of both Bassenthwaite Lake and Derwent Water you could also look at doing High Seat. It does get very boggy near the top so you should be prepared to slip a little. The approach from Ashness Bridge will give you some of that view quite early on. You could also tag on Bleaberry Fell and Walla Crag to this if you really want to extend the walk.

For a scenic drive you have the main passes.

1. Wrynose and Hardknott - both are worth doing. Hardknott has some lovely gradients and switchbacks.

2. Honister - totally different to the above as it doesn't have any sheer drops to one side. The road drives through the centre of the valley pretty much.

And there is also a very scenic drive through the Langdale Valley. You could do a loop in either direction via Skelwith Bridge taking in the Langdales.

A car with winter tyres should be able to handle the Hardknott Pass but be aware that it may icy too and the gradients can reach 1:3. Another point to note is that these passes do get closed if the weather is considered too dangerous.

As ever I am sure you will get some other great suggestions.

ETA - Thinking about Honister it does have a few drops but nothing like Hardknott and Wrynose.

Edited: 20 January 2012, 11:14
London, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Full day walk for fit couple

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions, the trip is starting to take shape now. Lets hope the weather is with us. Cheers again for all the help..

7. Re: Full day walk for fit couple

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2013, 10:20