We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day to explore - advice needed please.

Essex
Level Contributor
175 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
1 day to explore - advice needed please.

Hi,

I am planning a trip to the area for my husband's 30th. I have 2 nights accomodation booked in Abbleby in Westmorland (this was booked ages ago on a deal so can not be changed).

We will be driving up from London on Thursday afternoon and I plan to book an activity day for him near to Applyby for friday as he is into addrenaline type activities. There is one call Rookin House which seems to have Quad bikes, shooting, go carts etc.

Anyway we then have Saturday and Sunday (leaving early afternoon for the drive back to London) free to explore the Lake District and I am looking for suggestions.

We like nature (wild life and views), exploring new towns, boat trips and good food. We would like t do a short walk but it's not the focus of our trip more to get a feel for the place etc

Does anyone have any suggestions for Saturday as an full day and then maybe somewhere we could visit on the way home on Sunday?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Jill

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day to explore - advice needed please.

Here's something you could do that would combine a boat trip and a short walk, and not be too long a drive from Appleby:

Drive to Glenridding, near the south end of Ullswater. From there, you can take the Ullswater Steamer to Howtown, and then walk back to Glenridding around the lake. The walk takes about 3-4 hours, and is mostly fairly flat (with a few not-too-serious undulations).

Ullswater is not one of the most visited lakes in the Lake District, but it is well worth a visit.

On the way to Glenridding (or on the way back), you can visit the Aira Force waterfall, just off the road along the lake.

If you're still in Glenridding for dinner, the Inn on the Lake will satisfy your desire for good food.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day to explore - advice needed please.

Not Rutter Falls in Appleby by any chance? If it is I absolutely love that place.

Anyhow - I think NM's suggestion is excellent. Ullswater really is a beautiful lake. And the terrace at the back of The Inn on the Lake is a great place to be for tea.

A lovely comfortable walk for Ullswater is on the eastern shore from Pooley Bridge. It's level and you can walk up to the campsite and beyond.

Appleby, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day to explore - advice needed please.

Jill,

I run the Heart of Eden Development Trust based in Appleby look at www.heartofeden.co.uk for details of the area

Rookin House is good for activities but try a walk into the Pennines about Appleby or explore our quiet country lanes on electric bikes (book through <www.appleby-cumbria.co.uk>)

A handy iPhone app for the Lake District is <www.digi-lakedistrict.co.uk> - it will give you lots of information on places to visit, an excellent pre visit browse

Our local Blue Badge Guide is Ron Smith who can be contacted on <ronsmithappleby@aol.com>

Carl Bendelow

Appleby, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day to explore - advice needed please.

Hi Jill,

As Carl Bendelow has said I am a local Appleby resident who is a Cumbria Blue Badge Guide (check out www.cumbriatouristguides.co.uk). I am also a fully authorised and insured driver guide. Whatever advice you receive I can take you there and enhance your experience with an informed guided tour of the area. I drive you around in my Jaguar and you relax! There would be a charge for this service.

When you are in Appleby itself I can also take you on an evening town walk that will either work up your appetite or work off any excess!

The suggestions so far are good but if I took you on a tour I would take you to see more lakes, views and towns plus I would introduce you to many of our Lake District characters such as William Wordsworth and Beatrix Potter. As the first of the Ospreys has arrived back near Bassenthwaite we could also get a chance to see this rare bird of prey.

Please fell free to give me a ring on 017683 51811 and even if we do not meet up I can certainly give you advice. Talking is so much better than e-mail!

Ron Smith

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
750 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 day to explore - advice needed please.

This would be a nice walk and not too strenuous walk in the heart of the Lakes with plenty of opportunities for watering holes etc. www.lakeswalks.co.uk/walks/walk05/index.shtml

There are lots of other suggestion on the above website.

6. Re: 1 day to explore - advice needed please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2013, 10:22
Get answers to your questions about Lake District