We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buttermere/Glenridding vs Keswick with no car?

Sydney
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Buttermere/Glenridding vs Keswick with no car?

Firstly, I appreciate that there are a lot of ‘where should I base myself’ questions asked and have looked through a lot of them, but still have some unanswered questions (and will try to give you enough info!). I’m planning a 5 day break in the northern Lakes District in mid-June, staying with up to 5 friends – we’ll be looking for a self-contained cottage. We wont have access to a car, but all like walking (but aren’t experienced with the fells). The main criteria are:

1) Close to trailheads of moderate/4-6hr/on-path walks

2) Walking distance of a pub (but happy with just one)

3) Central for photographs – ie on a lake for sunrise/sunset

4) Reasonable transportation options

Given that, I’ve narrowed it down to Keswick, Glenridding or Buttermere. While I understand, from many great responses here, that Keswick would be best in terms of access to transport and pubs etc, I think the group would prefer to stay in one of the quieter villages.

So, what is the transportation like (eg access to local buses) in Glenridding and Buttermere - would it be easy to head to Keswick or other walks and back for a day?

Or is there 5-days-worth of walks that begin close to those villages or would we run out of things to do?

And finally, I realise its subjective, but what’s your opinion on the better place for walking/photography?

Also, while I have the names of a lot of good booking agencies, any personal suggestions for houses to hire that are close to these villages would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Mentioned in this post
Keswick
Keswick
Lake District, UK
Glenridding
Glenridding
Lake District, UK
Buttermere
Buttermere
534 Reviews
Buttermere, UK
Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
6,010 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buttermere/Glenridding vs Keswick with no car?

I've stayed in all three and Buttermere wins for me.

Once you get to Buttermere, it's the sort of place that you won't want to - or need to - leave, if you're a keen walker. That's just as well, because the transport links aren't the best (google "honister rambler"), but you'll get there ok. That lack of transport thing keeps lots of day trippers away, so it's much less crowded, the scenery is stunning and the pubs are good. You can walk straight from your house too.

We stayed at Bowderbeck on a previous trip, but also have a look at the lodges behind the Bridge Hotel.

Plenty on here will tell you to stay in Keswick because the transport links are good. Agreed - but I don't go to the Lake District to stay in a town !

Glenridding is hampered by the lack of decent pubs IMHO, and is that much busier.

Anyway, that's my view. Hope it works out for you.

Mike

Mentioned in this post
Buttermere
Buttermere
534 Reviews
Buttermere, UK
Keswick
Keswick
Lake District, UK
Lake District
Lake District
Cumbria, UK
Glenridding
Glenridding
Lake District, UK
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,156 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Buttermere/Glenridding vs Keswick with no car?

Buttermere ticks the boxes but as has been pointed out has limited entertainment options. Trying to recall which is the "good" pub in town though it won't take long to work out which it is.

http://www.visitcumbria.com/cm/buttermere.htm

< You can walk straight from your house too. >

But not walk straight back to your house

Edited: 08 April 2012, 09:43
Mentioned in this post
Buttermere
Buttermere
534 Reviews
Buttermere, UK
Sydney
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Buttermere/Glenridding vs Keswick with no car?

Thanks for the replies, Mike and Alan - much appreciated!

Unfortunately after a quick scout, it appears I've come to the party too late already - everything in Buttermere seems to be booked! There's one or two left in Glenridding, but now Im wondering if it wouldnt be better to stay in Keswick after all so I can at least see the two on daytrips.

Mentioned in this post
Buttermere
Buttermere
534 Reviews
Buttermere, UK
Glenridding
Glenridding
Lake District, UK
Keswick
Keswick
Lake District, UK
Lake District...
Level Contributor
646 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buttermere/Glenridding vs Keswick with no car?

Keswick has far better bus links.

It also ticks all the other boxes.

Both Buttermere and (depending on the date) Glenridding can be reached direct by bus from Keswick.

Frankly if you intend going walking the fact that the centre of Keswick can get busy shouldnt worry you. The upside is that because Keswick attracts lots of visitors it also provides a wide range of places to eat, shop and chill-out.

Mentioned in this post
Keswick
Keswick
Lake District, UK
Buttermere
Buttermere
534 Reviews
Buttermere, UK
Glenridding
Glenridding
Lake District, UK
Level Contributor
3,525 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buttermere/Glenridding vs Keswick with no car?

Glenridding is hampered by the lack of decent pubs IMHO

---

Like the Travellers Rest? Which is one the best in the whole district.

Mentioned in this post
Glenridding
Glenridding
Lake District, UK
The Travellers Rest
The Travellers Rest
380 Reviews
Glenridding, UK
Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
6,010 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buttermere/Glenridding vs Keswick with no car?

Well, I don't think so GEJP - but as I said, IMHO.

SS - if you are going to stay in a town, then have a look at Cockermouth too. Nice place, friendly people, good pubs and an excellent brewery tour too.

Mike

Mentioned in this post
Cockermouth
Cockermouth
Lake District, UK
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,156 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Buttermere/Glenridding vs Keswick with no car?

< an excellent brewery tour >

And excellent beer - nothing like a pint of Snecklifter to improve the evening. Well unless it's a pint of Coniston's Bluebird Bitter or (further afield but sometimes found in the Lakes) the glory that is Timothy Taylor's Landlord.

Mentioned in this post
The Bluebird Cafe
The Bluebird Cafe
1,138 Reviews
Coniston, UK
UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buttermere/Glenridding vs Keswick with no car?

I think Cockermouth is a great idea. Since the floods the whole of the high street has has been renovated and painted and it looks lovely and they need the tourists to come back.

Mentioned in this post
Cockermouth
Cockermouth
Lake District, UK
London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buttermere/Glenridding vs Keswick with no car?

Personally, I think Glenridding and Buttermere are both excellent bases for walking. I wouldn't worry too much about which is better, as I'm sure you'd enjoy either. If you find accommodation that ticks all your boxes in one place and not the other, then I'd go with that.

If you like walking, you will not run out of walks to do in a week in either place.

Mentioned in this post
Glenridding
Glenridding
Lake District, UK
Buttermere
Buttermere
534 Reviews
Buttermere, UK
Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,464 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Buttermere/Glenridding vs Keswick with no car?

Are you intending to self cater? If yes bear in mind you will need access to shops to buy supplies.