We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to enjoy for 10 days with the family

london
6 posts
Save Topic
How to enjoy for 10 days with the family

I was planning to go by car from London to Lake District with my wife and 2 children aged 5 and 9 in August . Planning to stay in hotel in the night so that the wife can have some rest and then start journey to new place in the morning and stay there at night. I hope it is possible, Any tips for staying and things to do please to keep everybody busy.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
720 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to enjoy for 10 days with the family

Self catering accomodation in the Lakes is generally let by the week.Especially in August you will find it difficult to get anything for 9 or 10 days.

I would suggest that you need to be getting booked asap.

England
Level Contributor
72 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to enjoy for 10 days with the family

Is there a particular part of the Lake District you are hoping to visit?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,464 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to enjoy for 10 days with the family

http://www.golakes.co.uk/

london
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How to enjoy for 10 days with the family

I just wanted to enjoy the lakes and the scenic view of the mountains and have good food and good fun.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to enjoy for 10 days with the family

I would try to make a base for yourself. The distances involved don't really warrant moving, packing unpacking on a daily basis.

Whilst there is a lot to be said for basing yourself at the touristy places such as Keswick, Windermere, Bowness and Ambleside, which are the most frequently recommended spots. Why not head over to the South Lakes near the coast , Arnside, Silverdale whilst not technically in he Lakes are close to the M6 so would ease your journey. They are within striking distance of the Lakes. Grange over Sands is another area worth considering too. Ravenglass and the Western side of the Lakes such as Gosforth, Seascale are less visited but again close to the sea and the Lakes.

You might find accomodation in these areas easier to come by and you will still be able to get into the Lakes quite easily whilst having access to beaches.

Plenty of good hearty pub meals to be had in the area.

The Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway would be a good trip for the family.

Muncaster Castle is worth a visit too

Edited: 13 June 2012, 16:11
Windermere
Level Contributor
119 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to enjoy for 10 days with the family

Brockhole Visitor Centre would be a good place to start for ideas. It's on the main road between Windermere and Ambleside. There is a big adventure playground and lots to see and do. You can check out the reviews on Trip Advisor - just be careful if you arrive by car that you pay for your parking to avoid a hefty fine! There's no entry fee to pay though.

The Golakes website is must read and will give you lots of information and inspiration.

london
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How to enjoy for 10 days with the family

I was planning to start from London and stay at Lancaster for 2 days then move to Carlisle for 2 days then move to Barrow in Furness for 2 days and then finally go to Keswick and then come back to London by car . Is that a good idea any tips to improve the plan please.

Is there any place I need more than 2 days to enjoy the scenic view and mountains.

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,011 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to enjoy for 10 days with the family

Personally I would avoid the Lake District in August, it was not designed for mass tourist invasions .

With the kids off school it is very crowded, the car parks are full, the road are clogged, and is is rather unpleasant (if the Lake District ever can be unpleasant).

There are only a few main towns (Keswick, Windermere, Ambleside) and they get very crowded with queues of cars to get in them, to get out of them, and running though them.

With two young children you will have a far better holiday in a seaside resort down South.

Then go back to the Lake District when it is quieter.

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,011 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to enjoy for 10 days with the family

To back up what I said above even a Lake District web site says about Ambleside

"It is a lively community, despite the quite horrendous traffic problems during the summer months"

www.lakedistrict-guide.co.uk/ambleside.html

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,099 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How to enjoy for 10 days with the family

< There are only a few main towns (Keswick, Windermere, Ambleside) and they get very crowded with queues of cars to get in them, to get out of them, and running though them. >

So avoid them - ignore the main A591 through the Lakes and go to the north around Bassenthwaite, the west around Buttermere, look at places like Cockermouth, go down the west side of the Lakes on the A595, lookat the area around Coniston, even the A592 around Ullswater can be surprisingly quiet - then you can head into the likes of Keswick later in the days as the day tourists head home

Edited: 15 June 2012, 12:22