We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manchester airport to Lake District by train

Wentworth Falls...
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Manchester airport to Lake District by train

Assuming our flight arrives on time, we get to manchester airport at 1315. There is a train to Lake District at 1400; this allows 45 mins to disembark, collect cases and find station. Does anyone know if this will be enough time?

Thanks

Lesley

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manchester airport to Lake District by train

Probably not in my experience, 45 minutes gives you little wiggle room but it could be JUST possible in the right circumstances.

Depending on where they park the plane you can have a five to ten minute walk in itself from the airbridge to the baggage hall via passport control.

plus a few minutes to disembark

The immigration queues recently have been reported as being long at UK aiports but to be fair the ones at MCR were not overly long

But still the wait to get through could take almost all of the 45 minutes that you have

I would regard ten to fifteen minutes as being on the quick side for your bags to arrive on the carousel

Then walk to the train station?

There goes the 45 minutes

And that is assuming the plane lands bang on time

But who knows it could arrive early and then you might be in with a chance.

Just a point to remember , if you book your train ticket in advance ,you may have to catch the specific train that you book. Miss it and your ticket is void and cannot be used on a later train.

You probably have access to the rail timetable but if not this might help

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,461 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manchester airport to Lake District by train

Personally I do not think it possible in 45 mins. Which terminal are you landing at as this could make a difference? I presume with you saying that you need to collect cases you will have hold luggage rather than just hand luggage. If you factor in the all the things you have considered eg time taken to disembark, walk to customs, plus time it takes to collect hold luggage is an unknown quantity, time to station, etc it is a very close call and unlikely to be doable.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manchester airport to Lake District by train

Depending on where you are staying in the Lakes

There are two stations might serve you well

There is a train station at Windermere which is in the heart of the Lakes for Windermere, Ambleside and Bowness.

Penrith is on the main West Coast line and some express trains stop there, Penrith is often overlooked as a rail link into the Lake District.

From Penrith you can get to Ullswater, Keswick and the Northern Lakes and West Cumbria by bus from there, or taxi If you are feeling flush.

Edited: 30 June 2012, 10:33
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,088 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Manchester airport to Lake District by train

I suspect OP is looking at Windermere rather than Penrith. There's another service at 14:26 that requires two changes then nothing until 16:00 for the direct train.

However TransPennine Express does have a loophole in that if you miss your train at Manchester you can travel on other TPE services up to 3 hours after your original travel time

Wentworth Falls...
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manchester airport to Lake District by train

Thanks so much everyone for your help. Much appreciated! Lesley

Level Contributor
3,394 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manchester airport to Lake District by train

Have you considered all alternatives to the train? I'm very pro public transport, but the Manchester Piccadilly to Preston part of your journey is just about the worst train journey in the UK, its the most crowded and horrible experience

Lake District...
Level Contributor
589 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manchester airport to Lake District by train

If you really want to avoid the crowded carriages consider paying extra for 1st class - not a great deal at weekends and you get free drinks and cake !

The other alternative is to look at a taxi , I use Airport Services based in Kendal

http://www.airportservicesuk.com/

and by the time you factor in getting from the station to your final destination they can be very cost effective especially if you cant get cheap advance tickets.

8. Re: Manchester airport to Lake District by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2013, 10:16