We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 day trip in Sept with kids

london
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Topic
3 day trip in Sept with kids

I have some idea of what I want to do but need some help - happy to add/amend things as per suggestions.

We are 4 adults and 2 children (both<4 years) and we will be staying near lake Ullswater for 3 days (is Ambleside better for staying with Kids?). We plan to do the following:

Day 1 – Lake cruise & Steam railway ride – We plan to do lake cruise on Ullswate. Is there any other lake around this area which we should consider for lake cruise?

Where can we do steam railway ride?

Day 2 – Visit Fell Foot Park national park - Will it keep us busy for 7-8 hours? Any other thing we can do on our way/return from Ullswater?

Day 3 – Any nearby places for horse riding. Or horse carriage ride with kids (possible?)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 day trip in Sept with kids

Lake cruises

Derwentwater or Windermere

Steam Railway

Lakeside and Haverthwaite or Ravenglass and Eskdale

Brockholes the National Park centre between Ambleside and Windermere has good areas for children I believe.

Windermere, United...
Level Contributor
388 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 day trip in Sept with kids

Definitely recommend Brockhole, great adventure playground, zip wire course in the trees and canoe hire.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
745 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 day trip in Sept with kids

The Ullswater cruise is probably the best, it is a fairly long cruise with very good nountain views.

I would do this for half a day, then use the remainder of the day to do something else, but not the railway. You could either walk up to the waterfalls, or visit Ambleside.

For the railway, the Ravenglass & Eskdale will have the most appeal to the kids. To get there you will need to drive across to Langdale, then drive over Wrynose and Hardknott passes. For this you do however need to be a confident driver. On the way back you could visit Coniston and Hawkshead.

For the 3rd day I would recommend a trip to Keswick and over Honister to Buttermere. Honister slate mine may well appear to the kids, and the ice cream at Syke Farm in Buttermere definitely will !

london
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 day trip in Sept with kids

thanks - it was very helpful. I'd like to avoid the Wrynose and Hardknott passes. Is the any other way or suggestion where we can do the steam railway pls?

london
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 day trip in Sept with kids

thanks you. i will consider this in my itinerary.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 day trip in Sept with kids

You can do the Lakeside and Haverthwaite steam train ride and combine that with a cruise to or from Ambleside. The train stops at Lakeside which is opposite Fell Foot Park on the other side of the lake. If you want to start and finish at the Haverthwaite end then that is only a ten minute (if that) drive from FFP.

For a lake cruise Ullswater as already suggested is also a good choice.

You could spend 5 or 6 hours at FFP by having a picnic there if the weather allows. You could also rent a boat here. The adventure playground there is quite good. It also has a zip wire amongst other things as does the adventure playground at the Lake District Visitor Centre at Brockhole.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
745 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 day trip in Sept with kids

To get to Ravenglass without going over Hardknott pass is possible, but its a very long drive. Across to Cockermouth then down to Ravenglass. Its a drive which seems to go on forever.

The passes aren't as bad a some make out. Mountain Goat minibuses go over them daily. My first drive over was at the wheel of a 15 seat transit minibus, just keep in a low gear and keep the revs up !

London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 day trip in Sept with kids

Agreed that the passes are not too bad. I had to take over driving an S-Max when the driver had a bit of a freakout midway through! Being unfamiliar with the bite on the clutch I promptly stalled it going up the hill, but it doesn't really matter. If that happens just rev harder next time! It's a fun drive.

Rugby, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 day trip in Sept with kids

I take my kids up to the lake district and I would recommend Ambleside to Ullswater . There is so much more to do straight from your door , you don't even need the car . From the caves and loughrig terrace to Rothay Park . A great walk is start from the park over the river turning right under loughrig going past the stepping stones , carry on past the car park on the right and carry on for about 200 yds , there is a footpath on the right take this down to the river . Across the road is the Badger Pub , if you go right to the Hall and go up the hill There is a bridle way called the Coffin trail , don't be put off with the name it's a really nice and scenic walk , take this to Grassmere where you could spend some time there then pick up the open top bus back to Ambleside .

Also walking south of Ambleside is water head where you could take the Boat and explore Windermere .

Hope this gives you some good ideas .

Cheshire
Level Contributor
883 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 day trip in Sept with kids

Lake Ullswater has the "Steamers".Its pier is at Glenridding.

Other boat trips include Keswick,head to Keswick boat landing stage,10 mins walk from small town,passing Hope Park.

Windermere has a variety of boat tours.

i would recommend Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway trip.

Also view "Ducky"s Park Farm".

www.duckysparkfarm.co.uk

Lakes Aquarium.

www.lakesaquarium.co.uk

Trotters World of animals.

www.trottersworld.com

Cumberland Pencil Museum.

www.pencilmuseum.co.uk

Personally i would choose Ambleside than Ullswater with children.

Get answers to your questions about Lake District
Recent Conversations