We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days only!!!

UK
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
2 days only!!!

I have 2 days only in the lake district, and want to make the most of it as I'm not sure when there will be another trip. We are staying near Irton Hall over Christmas.

We wouldlike walks in the wilds to see the best scenery rather than trawlling through a village or town. Are there 'not to miss' places you can reccommend that we could spend the day wandering about?

Just want to not waste precious time...

Many thanks,

L

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,863 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 2 days only!!!

The Wrynose/Hardknott passes do get closed if weather is treacherous but tbh I wouldn't recommend anyone tackle those when they're heavily iced or snow laden.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,148 posts
843 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 2 days only!!!

Many thanks!

Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 2 days only!!!

Walking in the Lakes a couple of years ago in November we came down to Wrynose pass from Cold Pike and then walked down to Cockley Beck, the pass itself was treacherous with sheet ice (thank heavens for crampons) and half way down we came across an abandoned car that had been chocked up with rocks to stop it sliding off into the gorge at the side. needless to say we drove back the long way down the Duddon Valley.

I took a couple of photos of it:

sharpedge.zxq.net/Cockley_Beck/SV106689.htm

sharpedge.zxq.net/Cockley_Beck/SV106690.htm

Mentioned in this post
Duddon Valley
Duddon Valley
Lake District, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,148 posts
843 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 2 days only!!!

Wow. Curious to know what happened to the car. Hopefully occupants were safe and AAA reached there somehow.

It seems next weekend would be fine to go around!

15. Re: 2 days only!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 10:19