We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake district for toddlers??

Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Lake district for toddlers??

We visit the lake district every year in September, apart from this year when I gave birth to my son. Next year we wish to return, although climbing fells may be out. Are there any low level walks that you can recommend that are pushchair friendly or attractions that a year old would appreciate?? Any suggestions welcomed.

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,293 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake district for toddlers??

There are 2 books published called

All Terrain Pushcair walks North lakeland

All Terrain Pushchair Walks South Lakeland

The Lake District National Park Authority have also published a selection of walks called Miles without stiles.

Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake district for toddlers??

Thank you, I'll get on amazon right away and see if they have them!!

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,293 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake district for toddlers??

The first 2 are published by Sigma Leisure if that helps.

North Yorks, England
Level Contributor
324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake district for toddlers??

check out miles without stiles too - for free !

lakedistrict.gov.uk/visiting/outdoors/milesw…

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,273 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake district for toddlers??

Lattrig has a limited mobility path and a view to die for. Buttermere is a circular low-level walk but you would need an all-terrain pushchair, bits of it also mean walking in the road and there are some very bumpy sections even for an all terrain pushchair. Actually thinking about it I would say that the complete circuit is probably not pushchair friendly although bits of it are.

You can get a pushchair around parts of the path at Bassenthwaite Lake. Access via Mirehouse which itself has a nice kids area.

You could also go for a short walk around Fell Foot Park. There is a gentle slope from both main car parks and it has a good kids play area.

The Lake District Visitor Centre at Brockhole is also good for a gentle walk - better with an all terrain pushchair if you want to walk at the back by the lake..

Ullswater has a nice flat walk from Pooley Bridge as far as the campsite. An all terrain pushchair could handle that. This is on the north/east side of the lake, not the popular west side.

Coniston (north side has a short section where you could walk (Waterhead). You get a great view of Old Man Coniston from here. Again, all-terrain pushchair advised.

I'll have a think and see if any others come to mind.

Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake district for toddlers??

Wow! Thank you, I have ordered miles without stiles and also a book called lake district walks for all ( only 99p, bargain!) from amazon.

I am really looking forward to our next trip, it'll make a change to see new parts of the lakes, this time from a lower level and not from up a fell. Will continue peak bagging once little one gets bigger!!!

Edited: 25 November 2012, 17:01
7. Re: Lake district for toddlers??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 February 2013, 13:05
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lake district for toddlers??

Thank you! I'll have a look on their website and check it out! Thank you so much for posting

Donna

Cheshire
Level Contributor
883 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lake district for toddlers??

I agree with Marmot12,,purchase books.

Walks with pushchair -: Keswick boat landing stage to Friars Crag.

The Great Langdale Valley Bottom Walk.Its 10km,3.5hrs.You can park your carnear New Dungeon Ghyll Hotel.

White Moss to Grasmere Lake by the River Rothay walk.

Start this walk at White Moss Common Lower car park.The walk is 2.5km,allow 1 hr.

The Head of Borrowdale: Seatoller To Seathwaite Walk.

Start this walk at Seatoller car park.Its 5.5km,allow 2.5-3hrs.

There are cafe"s at Seatoller & Seathwaite.

The Round Of Buttermere Walk.

Its 7km and allow 3hrs.You can park opposite Gatesgarth Farm.

Around Loweswater Walk.

Its a 6km and allow 3hrs

Enjoy your trip.

10. Re: Lake district for toddlers??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2014, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Lake District