We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip from London to Lake District

Sydney
Level Contributor
6 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip from London to Lake District

Visiting from Australia in late June my husband and I plan to drive from London to the Lake District and back. We will have 6-7 days for our road trip.

Can you suggest scenic routes?

Should we stay overnight somewhere en route?

What is the most scenic area of the Lake District?

We would love beautiful views from a B&B/Inn/Hotel - any suggestions?

Accommodation should have an en suite bathroom.

Accommodation does not have to be in a town, but within easy driving distance of a village.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,302 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip from London to Lake District

I would travel London to Ludlow for a night stop, then onto the Lake District

via Chester, and Liverpool

Check the route planner www.viamichelin.com

We have enjoyed stays in Ambleside in the Lakes, though you need to read what would suit you, as the whole of the Lake District is scenically beautiful, which inspired Wordsworth.

www.lakedistricttouristguide.com

Accommodation www.bedandbreakfastnationwide.com www.venere.com

www.visitbritain.com

Car rental www.autoeurope.com.au

Check the London congestion area www.tfl.gov.uk

Edited: 05 January 2013, 07:08
London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip from London to Lake District

What sort of budget do you have?

This is a fantastic hotel that's a convenient place to break the journey between London and the Lake District via some fairly scenic driving, but it's not cheap:

http://www.cavendish-hotel.net/

That said, it's easy enough to do the whole journey in a day, so there's no need to stop overnight unless you specifically wish to.

As for your questions about which is the most scenic area of the Lake District, I'd avoid the area around Windermere, which is disappointingly flat and tends to be more touristy, but other than that pretty much anywhere you can pick within the Lake District is scenic. If you want a hotel with good views, I think you'll find this place hard to beat:

lakedistricthotels.net/innonthelake/index.php

Do have a browse through this forum as well: the question "where should I stay in the Lake District?" has been asked and answered many times!

Edited: 07 January 2013, 14:26
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,503 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip from London to Lake District

Personally I would take the train to Windermere or train to Penrith / bus to Keswick then hire a car once up there and spend the time going around the Lakes

England
Level Contributor
99 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip from London to Lake District

Hi Anne's, I'd totally agree with the earlier post about avoiding Windermere (and near-by Bowness for that matter) - too tacky and busy to really be 'The Lakes' for me.

I'd always suggest staying in Grasmere, it's beautiful, central and yet relatively peaceful (outside of weekends). Walks (hills, mountains and lakes/rivers), pubs and cafes on your doorstep, and all the charm of an old English village. Your choice of hotel/B&B would be based hugely on budget, but The Wordswoth is well worth a splurge, alternatively there are several other well rated options in the village here on TA.

Depending on how much of the UK you'll be seeing outside of your London to Lake District road trip, I'd suggest driving it in a day to give yourself more time to enjoy The Lakes, or else detour slightly for a night in The Cotswolds.

The train from London is an option to go straight to the Lakes, so long as you're happy to use the frequent and widespread (if alittle pricey) buses once there. If driving from London in one go, do try to avoid travelling on a Friday, or leaving London much after 10am if you can, to avoid the most busy motorway traffic around the Birmingham and Manchester areas.

Enjoy your trip.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip from London to Lake District

I want to take my partner to the Lakes over the May bank hol...any suggestions of great B and B's?

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
750 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip from London to Lake District

I would suggest going in one day to the Lakes and then staying in 2 centres in the Lakes 1. South Lakes (Ambleside or Langdale) and 2. North Lakes (Keswick or anywhere around Derwent Water). Look out some nice walks before you leave home. There are lots available free to download on the web.

Sydney
Level Contributor
6 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road trip from London to Lake District

Thank you so much for you reply and the links. They will be extremely useful.

Anne

Sydney
Level Contributor
6 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road trip from London to Lake District

Thank you so much for your suggestions especially about avoiding Windermere

9. Re: Road trip from London to Lake District

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2014, 05:16