We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best view around Bassenthwaite/Keswick

Herts
Level Contributor
54 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Best view around Bassenthwaite/Keswick

Hi all

I am visiting the Lake District for 2 days and was after some local expertise. I will be staying at the Armathwaite and was looking for some ideas of viewpoints in the area. I'll have the afternoon spare and want a nice spot to have a romantic picnic and take in the spectacular views.

I've been reading up on Skiddaw but wondered how long it takes to get to the top from the car park at the top of Galeo Road - is this the best starting point for a quick assent? Is there a better viewpoint in the area? Any suggestions are welcome.

As always, your input is much appreciated - cant wait for my trip!

York
Level Contributor
585 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best view around Bassenthwaite/Keswick

The classic view over Derwentwater which you see on all the posters is from Watendlath about 4 miles south of Keswick and driveable but also approached by footpaths. An easy first Fell and also giving good views is Catbells to the West of Derwentwater. The views from the high tops such as Skiddaw tend not to be as good as those on the way up and down (with some exceptions eg Helvellyn) and can involve strenuous walking and risk of bad weather (mist cloud rain etc)

English Lake...
Level Contributor
137 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best view around Bassenthwaite/Keswick

From Armathwaite hall head up to castle Inn , turn right onto the A591 and drive towards Keswick , turn off the A591 at Millbeck/Applethwaite and follow the road up to Latrigg which gives you easy access up the south side of Skiddaw. If you want a nice walk also off the A591 , park up at the Mirehouse car park and follow the path up Dodd , you`ll see the Ospreys from there also.

Plus all the usual ones : Surprise view up Borrowdale and Honister etc.

But the view from walking around the shore of Bass. Lake from armathwaite hall itself is a stunner so you havn`t far to go anyway !. And head up to Robin Hood and onto the Top at Uldale good views right on your doorstep up there aswell.

Herts
Level Contributor
54 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best view around Bassenthwaite/Keswick

Really didnt have the time to do all I had planned but can definitely vouch that the views whilst walking around the shore of bassenthwaite Lake are amazing. We had a picnic whilst relaxing on the shore and it felt like a different country.

Spectacular peaks and lakes. Will definitely be revisiting at some point.

Cheers for the help guys/gals

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best view around Bassenthwaite/Keswick

I'd second the recommendation of Cat Bells for your next visit.