We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walk from place to place or stay in one location???

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,351 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
walk from place to place or stay in one location???

I realize this is a very subjective query ..just starting to plan a possible trip this September and have always thought a week in the Lake District walking would be a nice break. Have been to the area by car in 1996. There would be 4 or 6 of us..should we look at walking from place to place assuming we can even do this..with prebooked accommodation and someone to transport the luggage.. or would we be just as well to locate in one or two spots and do day trips out. We will be a mixed group with some wanting a bit more strenuous hikes at some point.. but most simply interested in about 4-5 hours of walking per day with a comfortable bed and reasonable food waiting for us.

Any recommendations of a tour company that would do luggage transport and comments on options appreciated.

Would also probably be interested in Western part of the lakes so possibly 4 days one area and then 3 in another???

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,043 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: walk from place to place or stay in one location???

I think you'd be better using two bases and then walking from there every day. For the western side you could look at the area around Ennerdale or Wastwater. If you want a left field suggestion there are some cottages at Cockley Beck where the Wrynose and Hardknott passes meet.

There is some excellent walking from there towards Wastwater and across towards the Langdale Pikes where you can do a ridge walk taking in Bowfell and Crinkle Crags. Super views out to the Isle of Man and to the northern fells.

And for another base I would look at the Keswick area. I'm sure others will be along with suggestions but another ridge walk is Cat Bells, Maiden Moor and High Spy. Again excellent views all round including fabulous valley views.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,798 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: walk from place to place or stay in one location???

Great to see that you are considering the Western side

Here some hotels that you could use

I haven't stayed in them so they are not personal recommendations but offer them as a starting point

WASDALE/WASTWATER

some superb walking, from fairly easy to scrambling up Scafell Pike our highest mountain, also access to Great Gable. A fairly gentle walk into Mosedale for those not interested in hilly walks.

St. Olafs church is also of interest.

telegraph.co.uk/travel/hotel/69489/Wasdale-H…

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g499566-d2652…

ESKDALE AND RAVENGLASS

I have stayed in accomodation in Muncaster Castle, it was self catering in the converted outbuildings and that was of a good quality.

Plenty of pubs and accomodation

You won't go hungry around here, good hearty food for walkers

Ravenglass is worth a wee visit

Here is a list

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g499540-Eskdale_Lak…

BUTTERMERE /CRUMMOCK/ LOWESWATER

https://www.bridge-hotel.com/

http://fishinnbuttermere.co.uk/

Another list

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g668109-Buttermere_…

I know Pepperwhitemini is a fan of Ennerdale and so am I

I would highly commend it to you as a quiet peaceful place for walking. It is not very busy and is worth the extra half hour or so it will take to get there

If driving from the Gosforth/Eskdale the higher route over Cold Fell is a very scenic route into Ennerdale. Some decent walking on Cold Fell , but as you are only here for a few days I would reckon there are better places that you would enjoy more

www.visitcumbria.com/wc/monks-bridge.htm

Enjoy the Cumberland Sausage, Tatie Pot if you see it on the menu, Ham and Gingerbread .

Oh and you must drive over Hardknott Pass

www.visitcumbria.com/wc/hardknott-pass.htm

Good Luck

Edited: 09 February 2013, 09:34
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,043 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: walk from place to place or stay in one location???

"I know Pepperwhitemini is a fan of Ennerdale and so am I."

Yes! Super view of the lake and Pillar from the top of Anglers Crag.

Actually Ennerdale is a lake where you can go in the middle of August and still not see anyone else. Not every time mind - but I would say it's the least busy of all the main lakes by a long long way.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,351 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: walk from place to place or stay in one location???

Thank you for the starting point. I mentioned a wekk but we are really open as far as time goes. Would we be better to spend 4 days in each spot? Being from Canada we're used to driving long distances to get somewhere..I get the sense that the Western part of the lakes is les visited because it's harder to get there? or is bad weather or something else a factor?

Will do some research on links and info provided and be back with more questions i'm sure.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,798 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: walk from place to place or stay in one location???

There is no need to drive long distances like in Canada

Whilst the Roads in the Lakes can be twisty you will not need to drive more than an hour to get to any point from any point.

The Lake District fits in an area roughly 40 miles by 40 miles.

In fact you needn't drive at all some days, depending on which accommodation you choose.

For example if you stayed near Buttermere you can start walking the minute you step out of your hotel.

These route finders might be useful

http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp

http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

Lots of Walkers base themselves in Keswick

And they don't have far to travel to find good walking.plenty of accomodation and restaurants there

Cheshire
Level Contributor
883 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: walk from place to place or stay in one location???

I would say base yourself in Keswick or Ambleside.

Keswick offers a good base,buses to Ambleside,Windermere & Penrith.

Keswick has restaurants,cafe"s,theatre,cinema,shops,fish & chip shops,outdoor market on Saturday"s and most Thursday"s.It has two parks called Hope & Fitz parks which offer outdoor entertainment like crazy golf,pitch and putt,bowls,tennis,refreshments and garden"s to relax and watch people go by or see the garden plants.

Keswick has a leisure pool for those rainy days.

Boat trips at Keswick boating landing stage or hire a rowing boat and enjoy the views.There are lots of walks at different grades from Keswick like Derwentwater Circular Walk,Catbells,Latrigg,Walla grag,Skiddaw.

There is a Tourist Information Centre in the centre of Keswick town called Moot Hall.Here you can buy map leaflets of walks and staff are helpful.

If you want a forest walk,i would suggest Whinlatter Forest

For bike hire in Keswick -:

www.keswickbikes.co.uk

A nice cycling route to do is The Old Railway Track.

If you want to see the Lake District and enjoy adventure,i would suggest Chris Jones Gyroplanes.

www.chrisjonesgyroplanes.co.uk

Websites to view-:

www.keswick-launch.co.uk

www.keswicktowncouncil.gov.uk

www.honister.com

www.theatrebythelake.com

www.keswick-alhambra.co.uk

www.keswickrambles.org.uk

www.pacethepeakes.co.uk

I do recommend you take a trip to Honister Slate Mine and do Via Ferrata + Zip.

Without knowing your budget on accomodation,view-:

www.howekeld.co.uk

www.glendalekeswick.co.uk

www.keswickcottages.co.uk

www.thegeorgekeswick.co.uk

www.lakedistricthotels.net/lodorefalls

www.armathwaite-hall.com

If your going to Western Lake District view-:

www.rumstory.co.uk

Places you may want to visit-:

Egremont Castle,Castlerigg Stone Circle,walking "Great Gable". & Roman Bath House ruins,St Bees Priory,Whitehaven Marina,Saltom Pit

You may like a trip to Maryport or a coast to coast bike ride.

For accomodation,view-:

www.moresbyhall.co.uk

www.penningtonhotels.co.uk

Enjoy your visit

lake district
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: walk from place to place or stay in one location???

There is one easy way to look at Keswick on the web www.keswick.org for all your needs ,plus www.go lakes.co.uk for the whole of the lakedistrict. I'm sure you will find these good sites giving an un-biased view of the whole area rather than individuals offering only their opinions.traveler47 hope you enjoy the lakedistrict.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,658 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: walk from place to place or stay in one location???

If you fancy Ennerdale, there is a youth hostel there and also the Low Gillerthwaite Field Centre, (www.lgfc.org.uk )

Both are about 2 miles down a driveable forest track from the nearest proper road.

If you want food the Ennerdale Bridge has a pub that provides food (well it did two years ago!)

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: walk from place to place or stay in one location???

t47, maybe we'll see you in the Lake District! Will be there with a group from Nanaimo, same time. Walking the Wainwright Memorial Walk :)

10. Re: walk from place to place or stay in one location???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2014, 05:15