We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 day Itinerary in Lake District

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
4 day Itinerary in Lake District

Hello,

I am travelling to Lake District from 8-11 March with my wife and 2 year old kid. I will stay in Windermere. I plan to hire a car in Windermere - I haven't finalised one yet but any suggestions are welcome.

After browsing through TA, I have come up with following plan:

Day 1: Holehird Gardens, Orrest Head, Lake Windermere

Day 2: Ullswater Lake, Aira Force, Bassenthwaite Lake, Helvellyn, Lake Derwent,

Day 3: Easedale Tarn, Wrynose Pass, Grizedale Forest,

Day 4: Stay in Winderemere ( I have a train at 8 PM).

Does this plan look feasible/OK? Any suggestions for Day 4

Regards,

Puneet

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,047 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 day Itinerary in Lake District

I would re-think almost all of that. I'm basing the following on you as a family so presuming you will look at using a pushchair.

Day 1 - Looks ok. Just be aware that parts of the Orrest Head walk are covered by trees and so it can be quite slippery. Also there are stone steps on parts of the walk so have suitable footwear. I would advise against trying to take a pushchair up if you are planning on taking your two year old.

Day 2. You won't have time to do all this unless you are planning on driving and doing short walks. Ullswater - you could get a steamer trip. You could also go for a walk on the Pooley Bridge side. This can be done with an all-terrain pushchair for a fair bit of the walk as they have made it more wheelchair/pushchair friendly. You can certainly walk as far as the campsite.

Aira Force - again - it would have to be very quick if you have all the other stuff you are doing. And again, IMO not really for pushchairs.

Helvellyn - I would cross this off your list altogether. It's a big walk on its own.

Bassenthwaite - If you go here it's worth visiting Mirehouse which has 4 adventure playgrounds suitable for all ages. Two of these are good for young children. There is a nice walk through the estate too and it backs onto the lake itself.

Derwentwater - you can have a comfortable walk for about 25 minutes going clockwise and downhill with a pushchair. This is starting at the car park for the Theatre by the Lake. After that it gets more tricky. You could get a round-lake boat trip where you could hop on hop off at different stages.

Day 3. Easdale Tarn is a lovely walk but you won't be able to do this with a pushchair. You may find bits of it steep and there are a handful of places on the route where the path gets very narrow and where you have to take big steps.

Wrynose - just be wary. It's a lovely drive and well worth stopping at the valley bottom before you get to Cockley Beck. I have had a picnic here and it was superb.

Grizedale Forest - Lots of nice trails here, You shouldn't have too many issues.

Day 4 - Seems fine.

If you are looking for walks with a youngster I would suggest sticking to lake level. I get the impression this is your first time.

If that's the case then consider the following:

Visit Fellfoot Park at the south tip of Windermere. They have a very good kids area and you can walk along the lakeshore and have tea/ice creams at the end. You can also hire a boat here and the water is not so deep as long as you don't head too far out.

Go to the visitor centre near Ambleside. They have an excellent kids adventure area and playground as well as lovely gardens. This also backs onto Windermere.

Go to Keswick and look up the route to Latrigg via Gale Road car park. This is pushchair friendly and you will get a breathtaking view all around but particularly looking south over Keswick, west and towards the mid-belt.

Consider driving the Honister Pass and going to Buttermere where you can do a lake level walk around the lake. You don't have to go all the way round and you would find it very difficult anyway as only bits of it are pushchair friendly. But certainly the first 1/4 to 1/3 mile could be done starting at the village. You might be better off starting at the southern end to get more level walking but be aware that parts of this involve walking on the road and there are a few tricky bits for pushchairs even this way.

I'm sure others will be along shortly ;)

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 day Itinerary in Lake District

Thanks for the detailed answer. It is very useful.

Yes, this is my first time in Lake District :)

I am not looking for walks as such as it would be difficult with a pushchair.

I am more interested in natural beauty spots where you can relax and enjoy the nature.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,047 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 day Itinerary in Lake District

For beauty I would look at:

Coniston - drive up the road to the main car park for Old Man Coniston. Super view.

Wrynose Pass and Hardknott Pass (with care). The area around Wastwater.

Langdale Valley.

Ullswater - eastern shore. Drive up to Martindale Church. Fantastic view point at Hallin Fell.

Honister Pass (already mentioned).

Hawkshead and Grasmere are nice villages.

Staveley is a nice little hamlet.

Cartmel is a very pretty village.

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 day Itinerary in Lake District

Thanks ... I will check these places.

Cheers

Cheshire
Level Contributor
883 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 day Itinerary in Lake District

A few suggestions,walk from Keswick Boating Landing Stage near the theatre to Friars Crag with pushchair.The view from Friars Crag is stunning,sit on the bench and enjoy the views and take photographs.

If you like gardens visit Rydal Mount & Gardens.

www.rydalmount.co.uk

Muncaster Castle.

www.muncaster.co.uk

www.keswick-launch.co.uk

www.trottersworld.com

Enjoy your trip.

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 day Itinerary in Lake District

Good suggestions. Thanks.

Windermere
Level Contributor
119 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 day Itinerary in Lake District

The Lake Distritct National Park has 42 designated routes called 'Miles without stiles'. Designed to make life easier for people with pushchairs or wheelchairs. You can check them out on the link below or buy a copy of the folder from the information centres i.e. Brockhole. I've found this really helpful in the past when planning trips out.

lakedistrict.gov.uk/visiting/thingstodo/mile…

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 day Itinerary in Lake District

Thank you very much....This is very useful....And probably what I needed...

Cheers

Chester
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 day Itinerary in Lake District

Hi,

my suggestion for a drive is Wimermere to Keswick then in to Borrowdale, about 3 miles after leaving Keswick there is a road on the left for hamlet of Watendlath and 3/4 mile up this lane you cross Ashness bridge ( most photographed in the lakes) and carry on for about a mile and on the left is a small car park if you park here and cross the lane you will be at the top of Suprise view ( hold on to the little one as there are no railings). Now return to the Borrowdale road and carry on down the valley to Grange for a pit stop and nice views. From Grange you can carry on around the lake back to Keswick but return to the Borrowdale road and carry on for the Honister pass that will take you to Buttermere drive through Buttermere and pass Crummock Water, when you are passed Cummock Water and by the mountain of Grasmoor turn the car around and drive back to Buttermere as this is the best way to see Crummock Water and it is only a few mile out of the way. From Buttermere take the only other road back to Keswick ( Sat is market day) Now you can take the A591 back to Windermere stopping at Grasmere on route or from Keswick take the A66 towards Penrith and after about 10 mile on the right is the A5091 to ( Aira Force) Ullswater and back to Windermere over the Kirkstone pass.

Sounds a lot but I would guess all of it is about 75-80 miles so 2.5 - 3 hours drive plus stops.

Keith.

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 day Itinerary in Lake District

Thanks for your suggestions....