We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay?

Gozo
Level Contributor
141 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay?

We re a young couple 30-33 years & would like to visit LD for 2 nights in mid August. which accomodation do you recommend? we re going to take a tour to visit the lakes. we would like to be near shops, pubs & restaurants within walking distance.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,273 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay?

At that time it'll be very busy in all the towns but I think Ambleside will tick your boxes. You'll be near tours, lake cruises and pubs and shops. Mountain Goat do a number of tours in the area.

Public transport is plentiful and you can also get to Windermere and Keswick easily.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,748 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay?

Yes, I agree, I think Ambleside will suit you very nicely. Though I wouldn't rule out Keswick as an alternative.

Best book early though: August is a very busy time of year.

Gozo
Level Contributor
141 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay?

any recommendations for a good b&b?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,273 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay?

In the absence of someone posting who can recommend a B&B I would suggest picking your base first and then looking here on the review section of TA to see how people have got on.

The advantage of this is you will (hopefully) see many reviews for a place rather than one recommendation which you might get here, so it will give you a far better idea of any accommodation you might be considering.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
449 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay?

Grasmere may be a good base for you, good bus links to Windermere,lake trips etc.Although Grasmere will be busy August time, there are some good B and B's, Hotels, The Wordsworth Hotel and Rothay Garden Hotel are very popular, but do have deals available.

Edited: 24 February 2013, 12:03
Chester
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay?

Hi,

Ambleside is a good choice but I can't recommend any accomidation.

Keswick is also a good location like Ambleside lots of places to eat, cinema, pubs ( about 12) and 1 nightclub. As for B+B I can recommend The Lincoln House in Stanger St, price about £34 pp b+b. Or if you want to spend more the Skiddaw hotel on the main St.

Keith.

Level Contributor
2 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay?

try wayside guest accommodation www.waysidehotel.co.uk

8. Re: Where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2014, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Lake District