We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental / taxi advice

Ashkelon, Israel
Level Contributor
65 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
car rental / taxi advice

We will be arriving by train from London to Oxenholme on a Sunday in July and will be staying at Yewfield some 20 miles away from the station, according to Google maps. We would like to rent a car for 3 days but haven't found online a place open on Sundays. Is there public transport or are there taxis or blue cars available and what sort of price would it cost? Or do you know of car rentals open on a Sunday?

Or perhaps, would it be better to take the train to Manchester or Liverpool and rent a car from there, especially considering that at the end of the 3 days, we will want to return the car to Manchester or Liverpool?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can give us!

London
Level Contributor
10,172 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental / taxi advice

In the UK, it is the norm for car rental locations (except airport branches) to close at lunchtime on Saturday and reopen at start of business on Monday. In the last couple of years, that has changed slightly in large cites, with a few car rental branches open for a few hours on Sunday, but I haven't found any in Cumbria who do that.

If you can adjust your plan of when you arrive into the Lakes, ie don't arrive on a Sunday, it'll be so much easier to pick up a rental car.

If you need one way hire, you need one of the 'major' firms such as Avis or Hertz. Both of these operate in Lancaster, though you'll need a cab as neither are near the railway station.

London
Level Contributor
10,172 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental / taxi advice

By the way. No idea what you mean by 'blue car'

Ashkelon, Israel
Level Contributor
65 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental / taxi advice

Thanks very much for response. By blue car, I meant a different form of service that is like a taxi but less expensive. It's not a spontaneous hailing a taxi, you order in advance . I don't know what they're called in UK, they're called blue car in Italy.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental / taxi advice

If you're going to back to Machester then I would suggest getting a car from there. A car will give you the freedom to see what you want to see. You will also be able to access quieter parts that buses can't get to. It will be a far better use of your time as you won't have to worry about bus timetables.

Ashkelon, Israel
Level Contributor
65 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental / taxi advice

Thanks, I've so far been unsuccessful in finding any place, near one of the large train stations, that is open on a Sunday! If anyone can connect me with small rental car firms in Oxenholme area or in Manchester / Liverpool, maybe I could email them.

London
Level Contributor
10,172 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental / taxi advice

Manchester airport car rental. The airport is connected to the rail network. You may need to change trains in Manchester Piccadilly, but trains to the airport are very frequent.

7. Re: car rental / taxi advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2014, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Lake District
Recent Conversations