We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help for a special weekend in May

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Need help for a special weekend in May

Am looking to go away for 2 nights at the end of May to the Lake District where I am planning to propose to my girlfriend. From looking at posts on here, Keswick or Ambleside look to be recommended as places to stay but would welcome any other opinions, and would appreciate any specific hotel recommendations?

Also, any quiet places with lovely views of the lakes that could provide the perfect setting, perhaps over a picnic?

Lancaster
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help for a special weekend in May

If you go on a Kankku Off Road driving adventure you could ask that they include their highest route. You'd both have the adrenalin rush learning how to drive the vehicle (under instruction) through some pretty extreme terrain to the top. There are fantastic views and you'd feel like the only people on top of the world...in my opinion, a great place to propose!

Chester
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help for a special weekend in May

Hi,

Inn on the Lake, Glennridding.

Keith

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help for a special weekend in May

Bridge Hotel, Buttermere.

Mike

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help for a special weekend in May

Unfortunately I only came across The Inn on the Lake this weekend and it is fully booked, as that would have been the perfect setting. Really quite gutted, the pier going into the lake looked ideal followed by some champagne in the bar! Am tempted to book into the Best Western in Glenridding and then just walk over to The Inn on the Lake. Is Glenridding a good base for a couple of days to explore the area?

Edited: 22 April 2013, 07:44
Chester
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help for a special weekend in May

Hi,

The lady who owns the Inn on the Lake also owns the Ladore Falls Hotel in Borrowdale and this is in a beautiful setting with views up the lake towards Keswick, try and find a picture from the Lodore landing stage towards Keswick. We enjoy both hotels.

A few we have stayed at and liked Grasmere Hotel in Grasmere, The Belsfield at Bowness-on-Windermere.

And a few we will get to stay at sometime, The Wordsworth in Grasmere, Rothay Garden, Grasmere, Wateredge Inn and Waterhead Hotel in Ambleside both next to the lake and the landing stage.

Keith.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help for a special weekend in May

The Inn on the Lake will be perfect if the weather's good. They also have a kind of "bandstand" area near the pier where you could pop the question. The gardens at the back are very well kept. I've seen many a wedding there.

Tea on the back terrace is fantastic on the right day.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help for a special weekend in May

The Inn on the Lake unfortunately isn't available for accomodation on the 2 nights I require so won't be able to stay there but guess we could have afternoon tea or dinner there.

So, in terms of accomodation my shortlist currently comprises of:

The Wordsworth Hotel in Grasmere,

Lodore Falls Hotel in Borrowdale,

The Belsfield Hotel (lake view room) in Bowness on Windermere,

Glenridding Hotel (Best Western, close to The Inn on the Lake)

Quite a mixture of places, any ideas on the best spot in order to travel around a bit in the 2 days, don't want to spend hours in the car if I can avoid it.

(Oh, and thanks for all the help so far!)

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help for a special weekend in May

Any thoughts welcomed on the suggestions above.

Chester
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help for a special weekend in May

Hi,

The Wordsworth is a nice hotel in the centre of the village. Nice easy walks to Ease dale tarn ( 3hours? return), LLoughrigg or LLloughrigg terrace (nice spot to ask her) or walk around Rydal water and Grasmere. Visit the Wordsworth museum.

Lodore Falls Hotel, the boat around the lake stops a few minutes walk away. Behind the hotel is surprise view, and it is. Walk or drive towards Keswick and at the only road on the right turn for the hamlet of Watendlath after less than a mile you cross Ashness bridge ( most photographed) and carry on for about 3/4 mile and there is a small car park on the left and across the lane is surprise view. You can carry on to Watendlath but you have to return by the same road. Go to the theatre by the lake in Keswick.

The Belsfield, enjoy Bowness and take a boat trip. Visit Langdale and drive over the Hardknott and wrynose passes ( not a good time to ask her) to Wasdale. Go to Wasedale head a beautiful secluded area.

Best Western, only had a drink there so can't comment on rooms. This hotel is in a good spot a few mins walk from the boat jetty. Take the boat to Howtown and walk the 6 mile lake shore walk ( best lake walk in my opinion) back or take the full return trip to Pooley Bridge. If you are walkers you can do Hellvellyn via striding edge from the hotel or you could walk up to "hole in the wall" just before striding edge, this is a nice walk in its self. Have a drink on the lawn at the Inn on the Lake, now is a good time to ask her.

All of these are an easy drive from one another so choose the right hotel for you and drive to where you want to pop the question, you will know the right spot when the time comes.

Keith.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help for a special weekend in May

Thanks for taking the time to write that thorough response Keith, very useful. All of it sounds amazing, so think I am going to have to take some time to plan a great itinerary!

The Cranleigh hotel in Bowness also looks like it could be very nice, starting to think I would prefer somewhere that we can pop out in the evening for dinner and a few drinks, rather than being confined to staying in the hotel which I think we would be at the Glenridding or Lodore