We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer to the lake district.... any advice

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
First timer to the lake district.... any advice

Hi

I'm wanting to plan a trip to the lake district sometime between the middle of August till the end of September (work pending)

I'll be taking someone with who's been before but I want to surprise her with a trip to the LD for a couple days.

I'd just like some basic info as to where to stay, I'd like to get a couple hikes in while there and a place that won't break the bank but will still be comfortable.

I'll be coming in from the south west, would flying in to an airport close by be an option or is driving better?

thanks

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,261 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: First timer to the lake district.... any advice

Another vote for Buttermere. And if you want a town, try Cockermouth instead of Keswick - better pubs, less touristy.

Duderoo's Buttermere horseshoe walk is wonderful, if tiring. Recommended.

Mike

lake district
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: First timer to the lake district.... any advice

Cockermouth is not in the lake district ,i would be safe and pick one of the towns in the national park

13. Re: First timer to the lake district.... any advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2013, 15:18
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: First timer to the lake district.... any advice

apologies I should've specified... by altitude I meant walks with good views not too keen on easier flatter routes.

My skills are average to perhaps slightly above.

I'l an avid mountain biker and occasionally hike here at home so i get a fair bit of practice in.

Also, thanks SO MUCH for all the replies to everyone else too

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,576 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: First timer to the lake district.... any advice

There are good walks from both Ambleside and Keswick, but I think Keswick has the edge as a base for walking.

If you do stay in Keswick, then Skiddaw is certainly a popular climb. It's high (4th highest in the Lake District), but not particularly challenging. There's a good path all the way up. You will see plenty of other people if you do the main route up. I haven't tried Keith E's suggestion for a different route, but it sounds like it could well be more interesting.

Alternatively, you can go round the back of Skiddaw, via the Glenderaterra valley and Bakestall. That's a lovely route and much less frequently walked. You could either ascend the popular tourist route and go back down via the back or vice versa.

Cat Bells is another very popular walk. You can make it more intrepid by continuing on to Maiden Moor, High Spy, and Dale Head. You could then make a loop by coming down via Hindscarth. Or do that walk the other way round.

Another fantastic walk from the nearby village of Braithwaite is to walk up the Coledale Valley to Coledale Hause. You are then surrounded by various high-ish fells: pick as many or as few of them as you like. If you only have time or energy for one, I'd probably make it Grasmoor, which has fantastic views over Crummock water and to the West.

Another of my favourite fells (and one that's off the main tourist routes) that's not too hard to get to from Keswick is Ullscarf. It's pretty much slap bang in the middle of the Lake District, and on a clear day you can see fantastic views in all directions. Just one word of warning though: the route up there can be rather boggy if you're there after any significant period of rainfall.

Have fun!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
2,950 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: First timer to the lake district.... any advice

Personally Skiddaw is too much effort and boredom for little reward at the end. Latrigg offers a much better bang for buck.

You've had Keswick suggestions - let me give a recommendation for another one also mentioned.

Helm Crag is a good walk from the village. In fact you could also do Easedale Tarn from here, it is very well signposted and goes through some good terrain.

But back to Helm Crag. This is an excellent walk with a flat section to start off with from the village. But you will soon start the ascent and it takes in different types of terrain on its way up. There are lots of places to stop off for photos or a quick rest. As you climb to the top the view over Grasmere will open out very nicely and looking back down you can see 3 lakes - Grasmere, Windermere and a small glimpse of Esthwaite Water. There is a pretty rock formation called The Howitzer at the top via a small scramble. The view in the other direction takes in the Helvellyn range and you can see as far as Blencathra in the north too. The walk can be continued as a ridge walk from here to Gibson Knott and further if you wish. But it's a nice relaxed 2.5-3 hours up and down - and you can reward yourself with a sandwich at the top.

TBH - there are lots of walks with excellent views. The mountains in the Keswick area are quite dramatic and Cat Bells is a good one, but I think best done as a ridge walk going onto Maiden Moor and High Spy. You'll take in views of Derwentwater as well as Bassenthwaite Lake from here. The only downside is it's probably the most popular fell in the Lake District and on a good day it's like the crowds at Piccadilly Circus.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: First timer to the lake district.... any advice

just wanted to say thanks to all for your help and advice.

I landed up staying at Hawksmoor in Windermere ( excellent)

didn't get much walking done as the first day we were there the weather was dreadful and so misty, we decided to just start with a short walk to Orrest Head and I slipped on the way down and tore ligaments in a ankle so walking far wasn't much of an option, but it all played out well as we went for a drive ( the weather was beautiful) the next day from Windermere to and through Keswick, round the Buttermere and back ... and I got to do what I was planning all along to a beautiful view... and that was to propose to my girlfriend.

So, albeit that my ankle is still in bad shape, it matters not as I got a yes... and that was all that mattered.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,576 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: First timer to the lake district.... any advice

Oh, congratulations, Louis! Very pleased for you.

Romance must be in the air in the Lakes at the moment: there's another very recent thread on this forum where some other lucky chap proposed successfully too.

Chester
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: First timer to the lake district.... any advice

Excellent.

Are we invited to the wedding, I have never been to South Africa or will it be the Lake District?

Keith.

20. Re: First timer to the lake district.... any advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2014, 05:17