We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lakeland buses rant..

Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
315 posts
204 reviews
Save Topic
Lakeland buses rant..

Just thought I would mention this after our wonderful stay last week in Keswick.

I would avoid using Reays Lakes hopper buses if you can and stick to stage coach, we asked the driver of a Reays bus if we get a return to Grasmere could we use it on Stagecoach buses, yes he said ignore what it says on the timetable we accept theirs… Anyway the driver gave us a Reays bus time table which looked at first glance they have buses every hour, how wrong can you be. The timetable when looked at and read between the lines was one every 2-3 hours, so we ended up after paying £12 (ish) for two returns and waiting in Grasmere for over an 90 minutes in hope then paying an extra £14.60 for two single to Keswick, £27 for 12 mile return journey is day light robbery imho.

Anyway just a little rant but my advice would be to stick to Stagecoach but I really do not know how they manage to charge so much. Winderemere to Keswick, £16.80 for two singles on a journey of 25 miles, I did question it and the women in Windermere said “it is an hours journey”, I could get a bus from Leeds to London for less and spend 5 hours on the bus!!!

My apologies for the extended rant, no wonder the over 60’s in Cumbria on free passes are the main users of the buses, no one else can afford them.

Next time a week ticket but I think they cost something like £40 each so who knows, we will be in Ambleside in Sept so not as far.

Edited: 10 June 2013, 14:42
Mentioned in this post
Keswick
Keswick
Lake District, UK
Grasmere
Grasmere
Lake District, UK
Windermere
Windermere
Lake District, UK
Leeds
Leeds
West Yorkshire, UK
Cumbria
Cumbria
England, UK
Ambleside
Ambleside
Lake District, UK
Lake District...
Level Contributor
643 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lakeland buses rant..

Bus fares are not cheap in Cumbria - a 1 day pass ( stagecoach) is usually cheaper than any return.

Most users are old enough to have passes !

It is not surprising that there has been little success in moving people from cars to buses here locally.

But I think the situation is the same anywhere in Rural England where most journeys are at least 10 miles ; considering how much the services have been reduced it is not as if the companies are making much money from them either

Edited: 10 June 2013, 18:42
Mentioned in this post
Cumbria
Cumbria
England, UK
Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
315 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lakeland buses rant..

It’s just annoying when you don’t drive. Also whilst I am moaning lol the rambler buses start far too late in the day imho, the earliest is 0910-0920 by the time you get anywhere half the day is gone. I climbed Blencathra and caught the X4 0710 from Keswick, I was back in the Dog & Gun by 1330 and with Latrigg done, anyway yes the prices are daft, maybe tolls entering might help congestion on the roads but I think lower bus prices would help get people out of cars.

Mentioned in this post
Keswick
Keswick
Lake District, UK
3. Re: Lakeland buses rant..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2014, 06:16