We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days id best to stay in the Lake District ?

Tel Aviv, Israel
1 post
Save Topic
How many days id best to stay in the Lake District ?

We are a family with kids 11-15 and we travel to UK for 15 days (first time). We planned to be in London for 7-10 days and we are looking to plan the rest of the trip. Lake district for 3-5 days and Edinburgh 2-3 day.

How many days id best to stay in the Lake District with the above high level plan?

Should we drop Edinburgh and stay only in London area and Lake District National Park?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
733 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days id best to stay in the Lake District ?

If you just want to see the major attractions of the Lake District 2 days/3nights would be sufficient.

The two biggest attractions for foreign visitors appear to be Beatrix Potter and William Wordsworth, both will use up half a day.

For scenery you ought to include Borrowdale, Honister pass and over to Buttermere in your plans.

Many like to take a Lake cruise, of the ones on offer, Ullswater has by far the best scenery, and Windermere the poorest.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days id best to stay in the Lake District ?

Hi there, if you include time for a day trip to Buttermere and a walk round the lake (or up a small mountain - Rannerdale Knott is lovely and not too challenging) with pub lunch at The Bridge or The Fish it will give you a very authentic Lake District day out - hope you're bringing waterproofs, it rains a lot but when the sun comes out its magical! Honister slate mine and the via ferrata aere worth a visit too and the lake cruise on Derwentwater is fun and you can get dropped off and walk back. Kate

Chester
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days id best to stay in the Lake District ?

Hi,

it is your choice but I would keep London to 7 days max and go with 5 days in the Lakes. I would choose somewhere central like Ambleside or Grasmere.

1 day Ullswater / Glenridding

1 day Ennerdale and the western lakes

1 day Keswick, Borrowdale and Buttermere

1 day Grasmere

1 day Windermere

you could do all these places in a very long days drive but you would miss so much.

Keswick, Windermere and Ullswater and Coniston all have boat trips but for me the best are Ullswater and Derwent water at Keswick.

Keith

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days id best to stay in the Lake District ?

Only you can decide how long to spend in the Lake District. But if you like outdoors sort of things, you will absolutely not run out of things to do in 5 days.

UK
Level Contributor
36 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days id best to stay in the Lake District ?

Hi

3 days is great for break 5 for good look all round. I have stopped 7 nights when I 1 st went

6. Re: How many days id best to stay in the Lake District ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Lake District