We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a kayak/canoe in Lake District

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a kayak/canoe in Lake District

Hello!!!!

We are visiting Lake District from Thursday until Monday, and we would love to rent a kayak/canoe for a couple of hours... We are sleeping in the YHA in Ambleside, and I read somewhere that you can rent them from the hostel itself... Is it cheaper than through other companies?

We are driving and visiting all the main spots... Do you recommend to rent the kayak somewhere else less busy than Windermere?

Thanks for your advise!!!!!!!!!

Julia

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a kayak/canoe in Lake District

Rent from the YH if they have kayaks.

Why not, I can't see there being much difference in price.

And you don't have to fetch and carry it on your car , and you might need a roof rack anyway.

YH is right on the water , less hassle, that's assuming you can launch the kayak from there.

Not sure if you can rent a kayak and just rock up to any stretch of water an get adding,there can be restrictions on some lakes/tarns, best to ask for advice locally perhaps.

Edited: 09 July 2013, 06:31
UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a kayak/canoe in Lake District

Whoops !

That should be " paddling " not adding .

You might find this useful.

Looks like you have chosen a great weekend weather wise

Enjoy your visit , and the YH, its just been refurbished.

lakedistrict.gov.uk/visiting/thingstodo/wate…

Edited: 09 July 2013, 06:45
London
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a kayak/canoe in Lake District

Thanks Leuca! It seems as the good weather is staying for the weekend! yippee!!!

I'm looking different options as I read that Windermere does not have the best scenery for kayaking... So Im looking now for different options, maybe Coniston or Derwenwater... Any recommendation?

Thanks!!!!!!!

Julia

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a kayak/canoe in Lake District

Has anyone rented a kayak from Platty+ in Derwentwater?

Lake District...
Level Contributor
605 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a kayak/canoe in Lake District

3 outlets on Derwentwater and I havent heard anything bad about any of them (although I do have my favourite.)

They are in no particular order

Platty+

Derwentwater Marina

Nichol End Marine

All 3 hire Open canoes ( Canadian), sit on Kayaks, sit in kayaks and sailing dinghies.

Rowing boats and Motor cruisers are available from Nichol End and the Keswick Launch Landings, not sure about the other two locations.

I understand that proper sit in kayaks with spraydecks are very difficult to hire .

PM me for my favourite

Edited: 10 July 2013, 17:35
Windermere
Level Contributor
119 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a kayak/canoe in Lake District

Windermere is brilliant for kayaking. You can also hire from Ferry Nab where the car ferry is situated. Its the most central position on the lake and would give you options in both directions. They have sit on top kayaks which are easy for anyone to use. Other options would be the Low Wood Hotel near Ambleside and Brockhole visitors centre. If you wanted to paddle for refreshments that would be easy on Windermere with lots of lakeside stopping off points.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a kayak/canoe in Lake District

Kayaking at the bottom of Windermere at Fell Foot Park is an option.

For somewhere more scenic try Ullswater. I was there a few weeks ago and there were plenty of people out at the Glenridding end.

Lovely small beach area near Silver Point where you could get and (hopefully) have it to yourself.

Maybe not now!

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting a kayak/canoe in Lake District

Already back from Lake District and it was amazing!!!! We enjoyed sooo much every day!!!

We rented a canoe in Derwentwater from Nichol End Marina. Really cool staff and the place is amazing, there are a few tiny islands in that area of the lake, so we had our lunch in one of them!!!! We loved it!!!!

We are glad that we got it there, as Windermere was packed of people, and the scenery is not as impresive as Derwentwater...

Thanks for all your advise!!!!!!!

Julia

Manchester...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Renting a kayak/canoe in Lake District

I am now planing a camping/kayaking weekend and just read the above which has really helped for the decision making. Can you confirm what you bought about the pricing at derwentwater? Not sure if it's cheaper to buy a blow up kayake instead?! Thanks jo

Lake District...
Level Contributor
605 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Renting a kayak/canoe in Lake District

You'll find the websites for costs below but best to ring up !

Dont buy an inflatable - they are terrible in a wind, sit ons are far far better and safer.

Basically kayaks are from £8 per hour, canadian canoes £12 per hour, Wayfarer/Laser 16 sailing dinghys from £25 pe hour.

Most sites are cheaper for the 2nd and subsequent hours.

All sites include clothing and changing facilities.

derwentwatermarina.co.uk/hire-and-launching/…

http://www.nicholend.co.uk/boat-hire/