We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I squeeze 1 more day in lake district?

beijing
Level Contributor
74 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Should I squeeze 1 more day in lake district?

We are first-timer to UK. With the limited annual leave, we plan the trip as:

- London 3 days, then rent a car

- Cotswold 2 days

- Lake District (based @ Keswick) 3 days

- Highlands + Edinburgh 6 days

- back to London through York in 2 days

We are considering the possibility to squeeze 1 more day for lake district.

1. drive back from Edinburgh-London in 1 day. Yet we need to drive above 400 miles / 7 hours in the day, and followed by an early flight (6am), we concern that will be challenging.

2. drop off the rental car in Edinburgh as one-way rental, take train back to London. Deducting fuel saving, pay more GBP80 on the cost.

We would like to listen to your suggestion: any big difference in the experience of lake district for 3 days or 4 days? We do know the longer the better, we also hope make the arrangement as reasonable as possible.

Thank you!

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,280 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I squeeze 1 more day in lake district?

Why do you feel the Lake District deserves one extra day when you have allocated the same number of days to London?

I love the Lake District, it is one of my favourite places in the UK, but London is one of the great cities in the world and 3 days in London will only touch the surface.

You are touring the highlands, and spending 3 days in the Lake District, so seeing plenty of the "outdoors", so if you have an extra day to squeeze in do it in London.

If your plan to drive from Edinburgh to London in a day means you miss out York than that would be a shame because it is a wonderful historic city.

p.s. A drive from Edinburgh to London by car in a day would be an AWFUL trip. It is certainly doable, I have a relative who does it in one day now and again, but it will be at least 7 hours driving, and that is with no breaks.

beijing
Level Contributor
74 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I squeeze 1 more day in lake district?

Hi Guilbert53, thanks for your suggestion. We consider give lake district 1 more day instead of London, simply because we may have chance re-visit London for business trip or other reasons in future, yet for lake district, cotswold, highlands, it's not easy visit again specificially, so want to stay as long as possible.

We are not sure about putting York in the initerary though, we know it is very famous, but with limited travel period, we thought maybe cotswold is the best example to represent England village/towns?

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I squeeze 1 more day in lake district?

I'd drop a day out of Highlands and Edinburgh :-)

beijing
Level Contributor
74 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I squeeze 1 more day in lake district?

Hi joeintheuk, thanks for the reply. Here's my detailed plan for visiting lake district.

D1: drive from Preston-Keswick, drive around lake district along A595 or A591

D2: visit Dervent water and hike.

D3: visit Ullswater and hike.

IF have 1 day more, visit Coniston and hike.

And the plan for highlands.

D1: drive from Keswick-Glencoe (above 4 hours)

D2: visit Glencoe and Glen Navis

D3-4: isle of skye

D5: drive from isle of skye-Edinburgh (above 6 hours)

D6: Edinburgh

Which day you will suggest to take out?

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,280 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I squeeze 1 more day in lake district?

>>>we thought maybe cotswold is the best example to represent England village/towns?

The Cotswolds contains a certain type of village and town, but they are hardly what you may say is a typical village or town in the UK.

The Cotswolds villages and towns are very beautiful, with the lovely Cotswold stone, but I think if a visitor coming to the UK ONLY visited the Cotswolds they would get a rather limited view of what UK villages and towns are really like.

York represents another type of town (city).

Much of York's medieval city centre still exists, there are historic city walls round much of the city, and of course the historic York Minster.

If you cant get to York then maybe go to Oxford which is on the edge of the Cotswolds, another fine historic city.

I am not anti Cotswolds, far from it, but don't go there and think everyone in the UK lives in villages and towns like that.

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,280 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I squeeze 1 more day in lake district?

>>>Which day you will suggest to take out?

joeintheuk did have a little "smiley" at the end of his suggestion so I am not sure he was totally serious.

beijing
Level Contributor
74 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I squeeze 1 more day in lake district?

Get your point. Maybe we should keep current schedule, stop over to pay York a visit anyway. So many interesting destinations, so limited holidays, struggle, as always:)

Thanks Guilbert53.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I squeeze 1 more day in lake district?

It may cost a bit more, but consider returning your car in Edinburgh (one way hire) and catching the train to York, then to London. It will be more relaxing than driving on those last two days and you won't need a car in Edinburgh or York.

beijing
Level Contributor
74 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should I squeeze 1 more day in lake district?

Yes, it will be more rational. Thanks SuzySey.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should I squeeze 1 more day in lake district?

OK, first off, I agree with others about leaving the hire car in Edinburgh. It's a good train service from there to York and London. If you decide you want to give York a miss, you might also consider flying to London instead of taking the train. Then you would at least be at the airport (assuming you fly to the right airport!) so it should make it a nice easy journey.

I think I would be tempted to miss out the Cotswolds altogether. Yes, there is some pretty scenery in the Cotswolds, but it's really not in the same league as the Lake District or the Highlands of Scotland. If you're going to visit the Lake District anyway, I think your time would be more enjoyably spent there.