We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London-Lake District-Edinburgh-Stratford upon Avon - London-

Kuala Lumpur...
2 posts
Save Topic
London-Lake District-Edinburgh-Stratford upon Avon - London-

Hi I am traveling with 2 kids (age 10 & 7) from 17-28Nov2013 and planning to travel by car from London-Lake District - Edinburgh-Stratford upon Avon- London-Oxford-Cambridge-London.

Is the trip too much? Could please recommend the apartment/hotel to stay in Lake District and Stratford upon Avon

Solihull
Level Contributor
3,989 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London-Lake District-Edinburgh-Stratford upon Avon - London-

You have 12 days, and are visiting 6 places, giving you an average of 2 days in each place (though some deserve more), but there is a lot of driving involved so you will spend a number of days (or parts of days) in the car, reducing the time you have to visit places.

It is probably doable, but may not be very enjoyable, and you wont have long in each place once you have driven there.

I am not sure how much fun your two young children will have sitting in the back of the car while you drive all round England and Scotland. This really does not seem to be a holiday for the children.

I note you leave London to go to Lake District, Edinburgh, Stratford, then come back to London, then go off to Oxford and Cambridge, and come back to London again. I am not sure why.

Oxford and Stratford are very near each other so it makes sense to do them at the same time.

If you want to visit all these places I would do a clockwise trip, and leave London to go to Oxford first, then Stratford (nearby), then the long drive to Lake District, then Edinburgh, then head on the long drive back to London, visiting Cambridge on the way back to London.

Note in November the days are short and it will be dark by late afternoon (4pm). Some of these places may not be that great to visit in November. To be honest November is really not a good time to come to the UK.

p.s. If this was me coming in November I would base my holiday in London for say 6 days, and go to Edinburgh by train for 2 or 3 days and get the train back to London. While in London maybe do a day trip by train from London to Oxford and/or Stratford and/or Cambridge. It means missing the lake District but you get to see everything else, and far less driving, and most of the trip based in cities.

Solihull
Level Contributor
3,989 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London-Lake District-Edinburgh-Stratford upon Avon - London-

I have just realised this is posted in the lake District Forum (and I have just suggested you don't go to the Lake District !).

This question may be far better (and get more readers) in the London and /or Edinburgh forums

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London-Lake District-Edinburgh-Stratford upon Avon - London-

I have two kids and living in the UK at the moment and take driving holidays all the time. My kids are fine. The distances are not that bad and roads are great. I have driven up to Edinburgh before. No problems. I would much prefer to drive rather than take a train as it gives you more freedom especially with children. Nothing worse than being on a train with kids with nothing to do. Pack Ipads and movies and off you go. You can stop off at some great places on the way. I always take my car everywhere. Parking is cheap and there is always lots of it in most places you visit.

Leave early in the morning so you get the main part of your trip done in the morning and then you have the rest of the day to enjoy the things you want to see. November will be cold but really In June/ July/ August there are lots of tourists so off peak is OK as long as you pack with warm clothes.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,077 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: London-Lake District-Edinburgh-Stratford upon Avon - London-

< November will be cold >

It may be by Malaysian standards but the real problem will be darkness - in late November there are under 8 hours of daylight in Edinburgh and just over 8 hours in London. Also many out of town attractions will be closed for the winter

It might also be a good idea TO LOOK AT A MAP as the proposed route makes little sense.

Given the lack of time and time of the years I would

a) book a multi-city ticket so you fly into London and out of Edinburgh (or Glasgow) - or the reverse

b) drop the Lakes and Cambridge

c) Spend a few days in London, travel to Oxford, hire a car for a day at SuA, then go to Birmingham Airport and fly to Edinburgh for the rest of your stay.

Edited: 22 July 2013, 18:14
London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,631 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London-Lake District-Edinburgh-Stratford upon Avon - London-

It's a very packed itinerary. If you can fly into London and home again from Edinburgh, it would probably be reasonable to do London - Oxford - Stratford - Lake District - Edinburgh. That way you get to do everything except Cambridge, and to be honest, Cambridge in November doesn't really have a lot to offer that Oxford doesn't. Punting on the river is much nicer in Cambridge than in Oxford IMHO, but you won't be doing that in November anyway. I think Oxford has the edge over Cambridge when it comes to beautiful architecture.

Maybe you don't even need to stay overnight in Oxford. If you leave London in the morning, you can spend most of the day in Oxford, which is plenty of time to soak up the atmosphere and admire the beautiful buildings, and then you only have about another hour's drive to get to Stratford. If you stop for a night or two there, it's then not too great a drive to get to the Lakes.

Even if you can't manage to organise your flights to go home from Edinburgh, you could book a one-way flight from Edinburgh back to London at the end of your trip, and then at least you'd arrive straight into the airport (though make sure you book to the same airport: London has several!)

6. Re: London-Lake District-Edinburgh-Stratford upon Avon - London-

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2014, 06:22