We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Toledo,Ohio
Level Contributor
51 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Suggested drive from Liverpool to Edinburgh

This fall I'm going to be leaving Liverpool early in the morning driving to Edinburgh. Can anyone suggest a route so that I can get a feel for the Lake District. I don't need to be in Edinburgh till 18:00. Thank you!

Chester
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggested drive from Liverpool to Edinburgh

Hi,

leave the M6 at junction 36 and take the A590-A591 to Keswick you will pass Windermere, Ambleside and Grasmere before you get to Keswick and then take the A66 back to the M6 Junction 40. That drive without any stops should be about 80 mins. Liverpool to J36 I guess about 1 hour max 90 mins.

Keith.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,272 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggested drive from Liverpool to Edinburgh

If you have that much time you could look at coming off earlier, perhaps J35 and head onto the A6 going via Hale, Milnthorpe and Levens Hall. That's quite a nice drive.

Then you could take the A590 (signposted towards the Peninsulas) and then the A5092 going past Coniston Water and then head towards Ambleside and up to Keswick as suggested above.

Stopping off at The Swan at Newby Bridge for a pint by the water ;).

Toledo,Ohio
Level Contributor
51 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggested drive from Liverpool to Edinburgh

Thanks Keith!

Toledo,Ohio
Level Contributor
51 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggested drive from Liverpool to Edinburgh

Thanks so much. If I follow this will it get me to Edinburgh around 18:00?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,273 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggested drive from Liverpool to Edinburgh

Check with the route planner www.viamichelin.com

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggested drive from Liverpool to Edinburgh

It's about five hours of driving, so if you leave early (by 9 am), you'll have four hours for sightseeing.

Toledo,Ohio
Level Contributor
51 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggested drive from Liverpool to Edinburgh

Thanks!

8. Re: Suggested drive from Liverpool to Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2014, 05:18