We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay for 2 nights

London, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best place to stay for 2 nights

Hi everyone, first post so be gentle! I'm looking to take my girlfriend away for her birthday and looking at places to stay with nice lake views, price wise for the 2 nights I'm budgeting £400 just for accommodation.

I'd also like somewhere we could rent some bicycles and go for a ride to explore.

The main part of this trip will be a proposal, I'm looking for places where to do it, also will a hotel organise a picnic for me if I pay for it?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Chester
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay for 2 nights

Hi,

Inn on the Lake Glenridding.

Lodore Falls Hotel, Borrowdale near Keswick.

These 2 are owned by the same family and they will sort everything for you.

Keith.

London, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay for 2 nights

Hi I looked there but that is £570 for two nights. Quite a bit higher than I was willing to spend. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stay for 2 nights

I'm surprised the hotels are charging as much as that, but perhaps you're looking to travel in a peak period. Probably not a lot of choice about that if it's your GF's birthday. :(

Anyway, there's a Best Western hotel pretty much next door to the Inn on the Lake. Never stayed there, so can't comment on the accommodation, but it certainly has every bit as good a location as the Inn on the Lake. It looks like it ought to fit your budget.

http://www.bw-glenriddinghotel.co.uk/

There's a lovely hotel further along the lake at Watermillock which would also have lovely lake views, called the Rampsbeck hotel. I haven't stayed there either, but I have had dinner in their restaurant a couple of times and been very impressed. Not sure whether it would fit your budget or not, but you could have a look:

http://www.rampsbeck.co.uk/

The Leeming House hotel is also on the shores of Ullswater. I'm afraid I don't know much about it other than that, but you could have a look at the website and check it out here in TA to see what kind of reviews it gets.

macdonaldhotels.co.uk/our-hotels/…

And of course there are other lakes apart from Ullswater, but personally I think Ullswater is the most scenic.

Someone else asked about suitable locations for a marriage proposal on this forum a little while back: you might want to have a read of that thread.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186318-i783-k47…

Good luck!

Chester
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stay for 2 nights

Hi,

I would check with the Inn on The Lake and The Lodore Falls because they often have special offers 2-4-1 or 3-4-2. Another hotel they own is The Skiddaw in Keswick and we usually get a deal at one of the hotels.

We have never paid full price.

Keith

Workington, United...
Level Contributor
697 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stay for 2 nights

hillthwaite house between bowness and windermere is not an expensive option including dinner,and has a nice terrace overlooking the lake and fells, gets good reviews and do feature rooms, I,ve stayed a couple of times, one was for my wifes 40th and went down well. not in the same league as previous mentioned hotels but still good

Chester
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to stay for 2 nights

Hi Neila,

nice hotel, can you recommend a standard of room?

Is the hotel about 10-15 min walk from the pier at Bowness.

Thanks,

Keith.

7. Re: Best place to stay for 2 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2014, 06:22