We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long weekend mid October

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Long weekend mid October

My daughter and I want to have a long weekend in October, travelling with a car. We want a nice pub accommodation, easy local walking, great scenery, boat trip, restaurants, some shopping etc. Not touristy like Windermere but a village atmosphere with things to do bearing in mind the weather is unpredictable. Someone suggested Hawkshead but we really don't know. What do you think would fit the bill.

Chester
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long weekend mid October

Morning Angie,

I always like Grasmere in October, you have the Red Lion Hotel, The Swan, The Dale Lodge hotel with Tweedie's bar. Right on the edge of the village is The Travellers rest.

I know you asked for Inns but I like the Grasmere Hotel and the Daffodil hotel looks good after the refurb.

The walk around the lake is easy and you can also walk to Rydal water. Ease dale tarn via the waterfall is a nice walk.

Grasmere is central so you can easily drive to Glenridding, Keswick and Buttermere in half an hour.

Some pubs to stay at but not much around them apart for scenery.

The King's Head at Thirlspot

The Bridge Inn at Buttermere

The Wilson Arms at Torver, south of Coniston.

2 Hotels I like are The Lodore Falls in Borrowdale and The Inn on the Lake at Glenridding.

Hope this helps a little.

Keith.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long weekend mid October

"Not touristy like Windermere but a village atmosphere with things to do bearing in mind the weather is unpredictable"

Well, those things are hard to reconcile. I think a "village atmosphere" and "things to do bearing in mind the

weather in unpredictable" are tough to combine in a single location.

I think Keith's suggestion of Grasmere has a lot of merit. It's quite a big village, so whether it would fit your criteria of "not touristy" and "village atmosphere" is questionable, but it is still a village, and there's plenty to do there. As it's nice and central it's dead easy to get to other place from it, and you have a great choice of walking if the weather is up to it.

Glenridding might be worth a look too. More of a village atmosphere than Grasmere, and you have the option of a trip on the Ullswater steamers if the weather isn't so good for walking, though to be honest there's not a lot else to do there if the weather is inclement other than sit in a pub or drive to Keswick. Shopping is limited to an outdoors shop and a couple of convenience stores. It certainly has the merit of truly beautiful scenery.

Coniston is also worth considering. I think it still has the village atmosphere. but there's a bit more in the way of shops than there is in Glenridding.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long weekend mid October

Thanks everyone for great and helpful answers, and we have decided to go to Grasmere. Which is the nicest hotel between the Red Lion, the Swan or Dale Lodge, as they all seem to have good points.

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long weekend mid October

A late vote for Buttermere over Grasmere, the latter being much favoured by coach parties. Buttermere is much more off the main tourist trails and as such, feels far more traditional IMHO.

Mike

Chester
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long weekend mid October

Hi Angie,

I have stayed at the Swan which is on the main road that passes the village, I like it but it is a 5 min walk to the centre of Grasmere.

I have stayed at the Red Lion which I like a lot and it is in the centre of the village and the Dale Lodge is a min walk away but I have only had drinks there.

Before your final decision the Grasmere Hotel which is a 2 min walk from the centre of the village has been refurbished at the beginning of 2013 and the new owner / chef makes fantastic food.

Keith.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long weekend mid October

Thanks, we have gone for the Red Lion, we wanted the Grasmere but it was full for a twin room. We hope we have made a good choice.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long weekend mid October

I'm sure you'll have a great time. Grasmere is a good compromise between small enough to have some sort of village atmosphere and large enough to have a few amenities, and shouldn't be *too* busy in October (as long as you're avoiding the half term holidays).

It's about 10 years since I last stayed at the Red Lion, but it was a very pleasant place to stay back then.

Do come back to the forum and let us know how you get on!

8. Re: Long weekend mid October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2014, 05:17