We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip advice for December 29-31

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Trip advice for December 29-31

My wife and I are visiting my parents in South Wales over Christmas. We'll have a new born baby in tow (3 month old).

We're planning on stopping in Birmingham to watch a Premier League game on the 28th December and then drive upto the Lake District early on the 29th. Plan is to stay 3 nights and return back to South Wales on the 1st Jan.

The weather will be what the weather will be and we'll pack accordingly. We're aware the potential exists for poor conditions on the M6 approaching the area.

Anyhow, it's been 20 years since I was last in the area, trip from Uni and we camped near Coniston Water.

Curious on recommendations? Stay 3 nights in one place and do day trips? Or book three separate hotels in different areas. What would be your recommended locations?

Obviously a fair few places will be closed during this time. I checked and Dove Cottage will be open. Hill Top won't be (and I'm not sure about Beatrix Potter World, maybe if the kid was older). I imagine we'll try a few short hikes but with the baby we won't be doing anything more than a mile or two (we're used to 10/15 mile hikes normally). No real expectations, just have a fun break from the parents, see some scenery, drink some good beer and eat some good food.

Thanks for any advice.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip advice for December 29-31

Well, I certainly wouldnt consider it at that time of year, with a baby that small, do you intend taking the baby to the football match as well?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip advice for December 29-31

> Well, I certainly wouldnt consider it at that time of year, with a baby that small

Thanks but I didn't ask this question.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip advice for December 29-31

Fell Foot Park will be lovely and quiet. Keep your fingers crossed for a nice crisp day. Great for kids.

You might try a short walk up Gummers How which can be accessed from the road opposite Fell Foot.

Feed the ducks at Bowness and Ambleside.

Short walk up Brant Fell.

Very short walk up Adelaide Hill.

Great views of Windermere from both the above.

Pubs - The Watermill at Ings does great food and about 10 of their own beers.

I'm sure others will be along shortly.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip advice for December 29-31

Thanks. I think to begin with we're most interested in suggestions of where we should stay for 3 nights. Not specific establishments, I can search for those, rather towns/villages.

We'll only scratch the surface in 3 days so we're not sure if it's better to pick one location and then make day trips from there, or book hotels in two or three places.

Edited: 30 August 2013, 21:37
Workington, United...
Level Contributor
717 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip advice for December 29-31

this time of year is peak time in lakes for new year, so most places will be top price and 2-3 nite min stay. Keswick would be a good base as its not a bad town if weather really bad, then central lakes windermere etc 30 min drive, also western lake towns cockermouth/Workington also 30 min away. lots of nice seanic strolls around Keswick as well. hope this helps

6. Re: Trip advice for December 29-31

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 December 2015, 20:48
Edited: 30 December 2015, 20:48
Windermere, United...
Level Contributor
362 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip advice for December 29-31

I would recommend travelling up the m6 to Penrith then over to Keswick for 3 nights. Reason for three nights in one place is because i think you will find the drive to S Wales long enough.

Also look at Ambleside or Grasmere. All three have multiple restaurants/pubs etc and if you stay in one you can travel to the others within 20-40 minutes as well as many other places.

It does depend on what type of accommodation you are after, there are many beautiful hotels outside of these towns such as The Inn on The Lake at Ulswater or even Langdale Country Club which is in a beautiful valley but only 15 mins from Ambleside.

Chester
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip advice for December 29-31

Hi,

I would choose Keswick for 3 nights as this is a town we often stay at during Christmas and New Year and always find plenty of things to do.

The only problem I see with the dates you have chosen is it is over the New Year and you will pay the top price and you may not get availability at your chosen hotel and don't forget the locals and tourists will be out partying until the early hours. If you can change your trip to the Lakes to the 27th or 28th you can sometimes get a good rate and plenty of availability.

Keith.

North Yorks, England
Level Contributor
311 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip advice for December 29-31

I'd say stay in one place, again Keswick is a good choice. There's some lovely B&B's in Keswick most will have a 3 night minimum at new year, also many good pubs and you mentioned good beer in your post!. We often stay at Coniston for new year and Cumbria County Council are good at keeping the roads clear even in bad weather we've never had a problem getting about. There's lots of low level walks you can do grab a walking leaflet/book from the Tourist info. You'll have a great time cosy pubs with roaring log fires and hopefully crisp bright wintery days.

Lake District...
Level Contributor
589 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip advice for December 29-31

You may find a holiday cottage rental would give you more flexibility especially with a baby and even though the rental would be at top top peak prices may not be much more than a hotel.

I know that quite a few holiday lets failed to find guests last year over the Xmas New Year period so I doubt that they are all booked up yet.