We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late February/ early March Visit

PA
Level Contributor
135 posts
196 reviews
Save Topic
Late February/ early March Visit

Is there a best located B and B for this time of year? What weather should I expect?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
712 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late February/ early March Visit

Late February/ early March could bring almost anything, the greatest chance is for temperatures a little above freezing a lot of cloud and some rain, the last few years however have at this time seen everything from complete snow cover with temperatures below -10 c to sunny weather and +10c. My advice would be to stick to the central corridor with Ambleside at the Southern end and Keswick at the Northern, this road is the one that almost always remains open, once this gets blocked there's nowhere else open anyway. Additionally days are still quite short so a central location is better.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
444 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late February/ early March Visit

A Good base is Grasmere, plenty of good Hotels & B&B's, also there is a frequent bus service to places such as Ambleside, Windermere & Kendal.

PA
Level Contributor
135 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late February/ early March Visit

I read in a 2012 post that the A66 can close with snowy conditions, if we took the A65 from the Leeds area to the Lake District, would that road have the same fate?

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
444 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late February/ early March Visit

Any roads in northern England may close in snowy conditions, and the last few years we have had very heavy snowfalls, I was in the Lakes beginning of March this year and the only snow we saw was on top of 'The Fells', but then again we have been snowed in before, just luck of the draw I guess!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
479 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Late February/ early March Visit

The A65 is highly unlikely to be closed. It's largely low level, and busier than the A66, which goes for a long distance over exposed open moorland. I really wouldn't worry about that, though if it did happen you can always go M62 M61 M6.

PA
Level Contributor
135 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Late February/ early March Visit

Thanks to all, I guess I'll just make plans and see what happens!

Kirkby Stephen...
Level Contributor
10 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Late February/ early March Visit

Bring plenty of warm clothes, wet weather gear Make sure your car is fueled and you have food and drinks, if the weather looks iffy. Then enjoy the adventure! The weather could be absolutley shocking or absolutely fab with cold temps and clear skies. If you are worried about driving I'd find somewhere to stay on the main tourist drag through Windermere, Ambleside, Grasmere. Or come from the North and use Keswick as your base. How about using the train and staying in Windermere?

8. Re: Late February/ early March Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2014, 06:21