We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Area Is Best With 3 Month Old Baby

Kent, England
Level Contributor
233 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Which Area Is Best With 3 Month Old Baby

We have 4 nights coming up (Sept 26th - 30th) and are thinking of visiting the lakes. We have never been before. We like taking photos and going for walks. We have a 3 month old baby that will be travelling with us. Can anyone recommend which area would be the best base for us.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,936 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Area Is Best With 3 Month Old Baby

Windermere or Keswick

Keswick better for walking

But with a young baby, perhaps its more about a good hotel, with baby listening,/baby sitting facilities

It would be great for you to have a meal together of an evening au deux

Choosing hotel that facilitated that would be my first task and location next.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,936 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Area Is Best With 3 Month Old Baby

This might be a start

britainsfinest.co.uk/hotels/…305

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Area Is Best With 3 Month Old Baby

With a baby that young I'd stick to paved areas. There are quite a few walks that are relatively pushchair/pram friendly but they would still get quite bumpy for a very young baby. (I say this as someone who has done many of the Miles without Stiles routes).

If you're looking for lake level then both the above suggestions will be fine. Coming from the south Keswick will be an extra hour on the motorway. You'll have more choice of resto's and things to do in Windermere, Bowness and Ambleside.

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,436 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Area Is Best With 3 Month Old Baby

If you are using a pram then as suggested you would need to stick to paved areas. If you are able to use a suitable sling, there are several on the market then you could probably go a bit further afield, say onto footpaths and tracks with easy climb over stiles and gates. My daughter has been doing this for a couple of years since their son was very young and they go on quite long walks.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
233 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Area Is Best With 3 Month Old Baby

Thank you for your tips. We do have a sling that we use so hopefully we can do a few walks, weather pernitting.

Windermere
Level Contributor
119 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Area Is Best With 3 Month Old Baby

I would recommend Windermere for your first trip with a young baby. There's Orrest Head viewpoint using s sling/back carrier. With the pushchair your options would include Cockshott Point near The Glebe in Bowness, the lake shore path on the west side of Windermere (lake) and a wander around the grounds of Brockhole, the main visitor centre. If it was wet you could take a boat trip or travel on the steam train from Lakeside/Haverthwaite.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Area Is Best With 3 Month Old Baby

I think Leuca's advice to concentrate on the hotel first and location second makes a lot of sense. The Lake District is not huge, and if you have a car it will be easy enough to get to other areas if the place you're staying in doesn't have the best walking opportunities.

8. Re: Which Area Is Best With 3 Month Old Baby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2014, 06:20