We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lakes District - avoid at Easter time?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
104 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Lakes District - avoid at Easter time?

Hi

We're driving from London to Scotland in April next year and will be traveling over the Easter weekend. My choices are to spend Easter in the Lakes or the Yorkshire Moors. I am worried that the Lakes at Easter will be too crowded to enjoy properly. However, if we change our itinerary it will mean an extra hour or two of driving and a less ideal route.

What would you do? Will the crowds spoil the Lakes for us? Or will Swaledale on the Moors be equally as crowded?

Thanks for your help.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Lakes District - avoid at Easter time?

Another vote for Cockermouth - get there now before it's discovered by those who normally head for Keswick. The extra 20 minutes drive is well worth it - and you're still nearer to Scotland than you would be in Ambleside.

I recommend The Allerdale Court Hotel for a nights stay and the nearby Castle Bar for a beer or two. The Bush is a proper pub in the High street and there's also an excellent Chinese restaurant. Should you have time, theres a brewery tour, Wordsworths birthplace and some interesting shops.

Choose your times on the M6 with care and use the M6 Toll if you don't mind spending an extra fiver each way - the emptiness of the road will give you an all too brief reminder of home !

Enjoy your trip.

Mike

Lake District...
Level Contributor
625 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Lakes District - avoid at Easter time?

All depends on what you want to do and hoe much solitude you want.

As Nautius Maximus says plenty of places away from the other tourists and even the "big"fells can be climbed/walked up using very quiet alternative routes.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,475 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Lakes District - avoid at Easter time?

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Avoid the main towns - Bowness, Ambleside, Grasmere and Keswick and you'll be fine. Actually, I would also add Buttermere to that list. If you want real solitude with a great setting Ennerdale is the place to go.

14. Re: Lakes District - avoid at Easter time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 May 2015, 12:21
Ulverston, United...
Level Contributor
175 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Lakes District - avoid at Easter time?

There were so many people avoiding the Lakes at Easter last year that it was really quite quiet compared with most years. The late arrival of Spring also probably played a part. So you never can tell. If you hate crowds go for the more "fringe" destinations and a country pub or hotel. You certainly don't need to steer clear of the area altogether.

Lake District...
Level Contributor
625 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Lakes District - avoid at Easter time?

It doesnt matter where in the country you go the good destinations are always busier at holiday time; and then for the Lakes you have to factor in an influx of day trippers from Scotland, NE or Lancashire/Cheshire if the weather is good plus the locals from West Cumbria !

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
104 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Lakes District - avoid at Easter time?

Thanks all. You've scared me off. The Lakes will have to wait, we've booked a few nights in the Borders instead. :)

18. Re: Lakes District - avoid at Easter time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 December 2014, 05:15