We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chapel Stile or Skelwith Bridge?

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
18 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Chapel Stile or Skelwith Bridge?

Hello,

I am looking to book a week in the Lakes in February next year and after lots of research have got two cottages which I am torn between booking - one in Chapel Stile and the other in Skelwith Bridge.

Main thing we are looking for is to have lots of trails on our doorstep as ideally we dont want to have to use the car too much - and preferably close to a nice pub for us to finish the day in! I liked them fact both are fairly close to Keswick and Ambleside as we are bound to have a daytrip out to both.

Does anybody have any pointers on which part woud be best to stay in?

Thanks so much :)

Danni

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
733 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chapel Stile or Skelwith Bridge?

As they are only a mile apart it makes little if any difference. Chapel Stile is a little further into Langdale, whereas Skelwith Bridge is a bit closer to the main road.

Chester
Level Contributor
2,545 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chapel Stile or Skelwith Bridge?

Hi,

I like you choice of Hamlet ( if that is the correct term). Ambleside is not to far a drive but I think Keswick is about 40-50 mins away.

I know that looking at the map of the Lakes your options would look central but before you book look at places along the A591 ( think that is correct). Junction 36 on the M6 to Keswick is about an hours drive.

I would choose Keswick as my location and the Boat House as my accommodation, if I could afford it.

At this time of the year the Skiddaw ( and sister hotels) has a Booster break ( Bogof) which make it a good value.

Keswick has about 12 pubs/hotels, theatre and cinema.

Keith.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chapel Stile or Skelwith Bridge?

I'd choose Chapel Stile. If your intention is to go out walking without needing the car, you will not be disappointed. There are loads of walks you can do starting from the village (do post back if you want some specific inspiration in that regard).

It also has a nice pub, the Wainwrights Inn, for you to finish the day in. Or for a bit of variety, you have the Britannia Inn at Elterwater only about a 15 minute walk away.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chapel Stile or Skelwith Bridge?

I would wholeheartedly agree with Nautius. Chapel Stile is quite a nice little village. And of course it's nestled very close to my favourite valley ;).

5. Re: Chapel Stile or Skelwith Bridge?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2014, 05:18