We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake District in August

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lake District in August

Hi all..

I'm looking to book a weeks holiday for a family of 7 that includes:

3 teens who will want to horse ride and do some rock climbing,

2 40 year olds who will want to swim and hire boats in a lake or 2 and

2 70 year olds who will want to walk their dog on the flat and will want pubs and restaurants nearby!!

None of us will want anywhere too busy so am getting a bit worried now reading some of the posts of how busy LD can get in August. We will have a couple of cars so will be willing to travel for some stuff if need be..

Thank You all

Level Contributor
74 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake District in August

Getting away from the crowds in the Lake District in August is possible if you choose one of the quieter valleys but obviously the more remote you go the further you will be from the activities you're all looking for.

One area to look at is Lake Bassenthwaite (famously the only "lake" in the Lake District) which is a little North of Keswick and has various accommodation options as well as being a short drive from a number of places offering the activities you're after (e.g. there is horseriding at Bassenthwaite, boating on Derwant Water and a couple of pubs and restaurants). It will still be busy but I suspect no where near as bad as Bowness, Ambleside, Hawkshead and the like.

An alternative to look at is Cockermouth. It is just outside the National Park but is a handsome and friendly town a short drive from lots of activity options in the Nortn Lakes.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake District in August

Brilliant..thankyou.

I've been looking at Cockermouth because of reading about it on here but hadn't heard of Lake Bassenthwaite.. I shall look now!!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
714 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake District in August

It all depends on your definition of busy. Compared to Birmingham the Lakes is never going to be busy. The worst places in my experience are Bowness on Windermere (why bother anyway) Grasmere village, Ambleside, Coniston waterfront, and Keswick on marketdays. Even then they aren't really that busy with the biggest problem being car parking, which normally can be cured by just a little patience waiting for a space.

The biggest problem can be parking for fell walks, often there's only a few spaces for specific routes and you need to be parked by 9.30 or so. I went a few years back on August bank holiday week with some trepidation, but it was nowhere near as crowded as I feared.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,784 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake District in August

Look at the Western Lakes

Wastwater,

Eskdale

Gosforth

Sea scale

Ravenglass

Muncaster Castle

Even Whitehaven and St.Bees

And another vote for Cockermouth area

whitehavenandwesternlakeland.co.uk/johnpaulj…

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
714 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake District in August

A word of caution, many of not all of the places mentioned as being "quiet" are quiet due to their inaccesibility. To get to the Western side of the fells, you either drive round the North, round the South or head over Hardknott pass. Roads are long windy narrow and consequently slow. Additionally its nothing like the classic visions people have of the Lake District. Wastwater is truly beautiful for its ruggedness, but you drive alongside the lake to Wasdale head which only has one pub and two campsites, and then have to drive back the way you came. Great location for fellwalkers heading for Scafell & Scafell Pike, but not if you want to take a rowing boat out. IMO you would be better in the central lakes taking a little longer due to the traffic than spending hours driving around looking for what you are after.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake District in August

Perhaps Braithwaite might be worth looking at as a destination. It's close to (but not directly on) Bassenthwaite Lake, it has a couple of nice pubs, and it's close enough to Keswick that you can drive there in just a few minutes. It also has a nice option for walks on the flat up the Coledale Valley.

Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
1,923 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake District in August

Ullswater would get my vote, we've spent many August holidays around Patterdale and although it can be busy it never seems to get overrun like other parts of the Lakes. There's swimming and boating available in the lake, lots of climbing opportunities nearby, plenty of great fell walks including Fairfield and Helvellyn and flat walking on parts of the lake-shore.

There are some good pubs in the area all serving decent food and you're handily placed for visiting other parts of the district. The only thing I'm not sure about is horse riding in the immediate area.

Have a look here:

lakedistrict.gov.uk/visiting/placestogo/expl…

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Lake District in August

Thank you all... All very helpful tips..

The Western Lakes sound and look great, but i think you may be right, Bongodog1964, a bit too much driving in order to give the teens a bit of variety. I think I'll promise myself a revisit when I've only got myself to think about!!

So, I'll search for a nice house in the Braithwaite/Bassenthwaite and Patterdale areas... If anyone knows of a 4 bedroom house that accepts dogs and has good walks on the doorstep let me know!!!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lake District in August

The area around Bassenthwaite is not a bad call but pretty much anywhere where there are good walks/shops/scenery will be busy in August. Even some of the smaller places like Pooley Bridge and Hawkshead get very busy.

As long as you're ok with that you'll be fine. A lot of people come on here asking for quiet locations and Ennerdale is the only lake I've been to which I've found to be quiet in the height of the tourist season. Even places like Wastwater get packed to the gunwales at that time. (I was there earlier this year and was stuck in a queue for 20 minutes on the southside trying to get in). For sheer beauty Wastwater is superb but you need to get there early and try and make a day of it. There are lots of nice areas to picnic next to the lake.

Or try the far side of Ullswater - Silver Point gives great views of the Helvellyn range and there is a nice grassy area there where you can picnic too as well as a small beach area.

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,284 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lake District in August

Ennerdale is so quiet and beautiful that, like some of my favourite pubs, I almost wince when it's mentioned on here.

Another vote for Cockermouth for your town base.

Mike