We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keswick, Ambleside, Windermere, Bowness .. or anywhere else?

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Keswick, Ambleside, Windermere, Bowness .. or anywhere else?

After reading various earlier posts on here, I think we have narrowed down our choice to the 3/4 places in the title, but as we want something slightly different to the usual Lake District tourist, I thought I would hopefully sound out a few of you who were 'in the know'.

Our vacation will be in September. There will be 4 of us, myself, my husband, our 8 year old son and my 84 year old mother. We enjoy out and about but are not 'hikers', and the eldest in our party has limited mobility. You may wonder why on earth we are going to the Lake District in the first place? Well, that is because the area holds fond memories for my mother after spending her 40th wedding anniversary there with my late father and she has asked to go back this year before her health deteriorates any further.

We are looking for a self-catering cottage or apartment, (ground floor bedroom ideal though not essential), in, or fairly near a town with shops to browse in and have coffee, with plenty of pubs/restaurants to choose from for eating out in the evenings, We don't mind getting in the car to have a lookabout the surrounding areas on a couple of the days, but mostly we want to lock up the car on arrival and have a short walk into the nearest town (pushing the wheelchair!). My husband is a coarse fisherman, but after a look about the internet, I think he has given up on finding somewhere for that nearby ... if at all!

If anyone can suggest accommodation, that would be a bonus, but mostly at this stage, we want to make sure we get the location right.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,783 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Keswick, Ambleside, Windermere, Bowness .. or anywhere else?

Cockermouth?

The Main Street is level, unlike Bowness,

There are pubs restaurants on the Main Street , but it is not as busy or as as many restaurants as the other towns you mention but it might suit you.

Also fishing nearby

lakedistrictfishing.net/component/…

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,284 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Keswick, Ambleside, Windermere, Bowness .. or anywhere else?

Cockermouth, again. A friendly town that's really on the up at the moment with lots of great pubs, eating places and shops. And a brewery.

Get there soon though. I predict a rash of Sunday supplement stories over the next year, attracting weekending couples en-masse.

Mike

Level Contributor
74 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Keswick, Ambleside, Windermere, Bowness .. or anywhere else?

Of the four choices listed my recommendation would be for Keswick every time. If you're open to other suggestions though then Cockermouth is a great call. Don't be put off by the fact that it is just outside the National Park - all the better for it! A handsome and friendly town and only a short drive to the Northern Lakes.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
714 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Keswick, Ambleside, Windermere, Bowness .. or anywhere else?

I don't think any Lake District town has enough to fulfil your requirement of being able to push the wheelchair to it most days and keep yourself entertained, none of them are that big, especially Cockermouth which to my mind is overrated and not even in the Lake District. I would suggest either Ambleside or Keswick, they are the two better towns in The Lakes, have a good road between them which passes through Grasmere which is worth half a day in itself.

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,284 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Keswick, Ambleside, Windermere, Bowness .. or anywhere else?

Just to correct that previous post, Cockermouth is in the Lake District but not in the National Park.

I was in Ambleside last weekend and, although "The Golden Rule" is a great pub, I'd choose Cockermouth for a stay every time.

Mike

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Keswick, Ambleside, Windermere, Bowness .. or anywhere else?

Thank you all for taking the time to respond - much appreciated and has narrowed down the searching. Certainly my hubby has already taken a look at the fishing tip leuca!!

Solihull
Level Contributor
3,870 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Keswick, Ambleside, Windermere, Bowness .. or anywhere else?

My wife and I have spent the last few years pushing her mother round in a wheelchair and while we have not taken her to the Lake District I do have some understanding of what it is like to look after a person in a wheelchair.

So I would say stay in Keswick (IN Keswick, not outside it, as pushing a wheelchair around Lake District roads is not easy or safe as they are narrow and some don't have pavements).

Keswick is a fairly large town and generally fairly flat. There are plenty of shops to mooch in, plus many places to eat and drink.

There is also a wide pedestrianized street running thorough the centre of Keswick, with shops all down either side of it, which would be fine for pushing a person round in a wheelchair.

You are surrounded by some fine mountains so there are some lovely views of places like Skiddaw, even when you are in the centre of the town.

Derwentwater lake is very near to Keswick (10 minutes walk) and there is a road/path (much of it traffic free) that takes you from the town centre to the edge of the lake. This is quite an asset if one of the party is in a wheelchair.

There is a large park near the lake called Hope Park and also a theatre by the lake. Plus plenty of benches in that area to sit and watch the world go by (lots of people come down to the lakeside, plus the boats that go round the lake start from there, so there is a lot going on).

There is also a nice park called Fitz park just on the edge of Keswick (Northern side) with a lovely river (Greta) running alongside it that would be a lovely place to take someone in a wheelchair.

Near Fitz park is also a walk that goes along the old disused railway line (it starts at the old railway station) and while you could not push a wheelchair too far it is very flat and criss-crosses over the river Greta so would be a nice short flat walk to make your mother feel she was part of the Lake District.

You can also get to many mountains and valleys from Keswick if you wanted to do a tour by car.

I think Keswick would be an ideal base if you have someone in a wheelchair.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Keswick, Ambleside, Windermere, Bowness .. or anywhere else?

Thank you Guilbert53. Some very useful information there - much appreciated, especially as mum is the real reason for our trip to the area so her feeling part of it is paramount.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Keswick, Ambleside, Windermere, Bowness .. or anywhere else?

I think I'd go for Keswick, but I wonder if it's worth asking your mum if she has any preferences? Is there a particular bit of the Lake District she's particularly keen to go back to?

Kendal, United...
Level Contributor
228 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Keswick, Ambleside, Windermere, Bowness .. or anywhere else?

There is another decent coarse fishery, about 20 miles north of Keswick, called Brayton Pond which holds some decent Carp according to my husband. http://www.braytonpond.co.uk