We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camper Van Travels June 2014

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Camper Van Travels June 2014

Planning on travelling around the Lake District/Yorkshire Dales for 5 days in June with a camper van. Is it imperative to make reservations at campsites before hand or is it easy enough to just turn up and find a spot? What are the rules/regulations regarding road side stops. Obviously we would not do this on any major motorways but what about remote areas, is it possible to simply stop for a night where ever we choose?

Any advice or further suggestions would be much appreciated!

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,815 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camper Van Travels June 2014

You're not allowed to 'wild camp' in England there are spots that people use though. There's a forum devoted to the subject on http://motorhomefacts.com

I would book ahead if the weather's good or at weekends, just to be safe. Depends too on whether you want to use larger sites, or small certificated sites which only take a handful of vans in the first place and so cna become full easily. At least have a list of all the sites within the area you can phone around. As with B&Bs, the best ones are more likely to book up, leaving you with the less good and more expensive to choose from.

Otley, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
591 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camper Van Travels June 2014

Hi

There are MANY campsites around the lake district, you are not in the "national" holiday period for schools, but they still do get booked up, personally I'd book, rather than risking turning up and hoping to get in, then having to move onto the next site. As ou are not in the peak holiday season, there should be no restriction to the amount of nights that you can stay for, eg min of 2 nights, unless it's a weekend. Legally wherever you camp you must have the permission of a landowners permission and you "camp above the highest fell wall, well away from towns and villages" The National Park carparks will state clearly "no overnight stays" in the carparks, that doesn't mean to say that the unofficial laybys don't allow camping (eg wider verges). Have a look at this site.....http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/motorhome-faqs.shtml and scroll down 3/4 of the page (or search for "can i sleep in my camper when it's parked on the road or in a lay-by?") and you'll find the piece I'm on about!! Hope you have fund!

3. Re: Camper Van Travels June 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2015, 06:34