We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Hotel recommendations for the following requirements...

Malta
Level Contributor
88 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Need Hotel recommendations for the following requirements...

I have started a post a couple of months ago here:

tripadvisor.com/…57608324

This thread will be specifically about hotel recommendations. I think that the best 4 places to stay in (based on public transport connections) are:

Windermere

Keswick

Grasmere

Ambleside

Now. I am after a romantic get-away. We'll be staying in lake District between the 24th of July till 31st of July.

My preferences are:

-Bed and Breakfast deal for 7 nights

-spacious double room

-private balcony/terrace/deck of some sort (large windows would do too as a second preference)

-Lake view (2nd preference fell view)

-within walking distance to the nearest lake - 5 - 15 minutes (2nd preference: bus stop near hotel to take us to the lake!)

-within walking distance to shops/other restaurants (2nd preference: bus stop near hotel that takes us there!)

That's about it... I have envisioned being very close to a lake for like the past 2 years while I was DREAMING of this vacation trip... I'd appreciate it SO much if you guys can help me with this!

Oh budget.... For two persons, 7 nights, bed and breakfast... I'm hoping not to exceed £1,100 for 7 nights... So around £160 or so per night. If it's cheaper, better! haha

I will welcome all your suggestions! So far, I've been helped tremendously on here ^_^

Thank you in advance!

Bella

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
5,679 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Hotel recommendations for the following requirements...

Have a look at The Waterhead Hotel, Ambleside. Don't confuse it with the Waterhead Hotel, Coniston though I'm sure that's very good too. The hotel I am referring to is run by the English Lakes Group and I know it has one luxury room with a balcony. We stayed in the excellent room next door and the views over the lake were superb. Mind you we stayed in Autumn when the leaves had fallen, the big horse chestnuts between the hotel and the lake will slightly impair your view. I checked the website and nightly rates are just over £150 in peak season. I fear that the room might already be booked.

Malta
Level Contributor
88 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Hotel recommendations for the following requirements...

The rate they are offering is £215 per night for such a room. It would have been great if they could offer it for £150 a night! Not happening :/

More suggestions are greatly welcomed!

Bella

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,097 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Hotel recommendations for the following requirements...

Trouble is you are inside the summer school holiday season and prices will be high.

Where I live schools break up Monday 21st July, though I believe in Scotland they break up a week or two earlier.

So nowhere is going to give you any sort of "deal" as they can command top price.

Malta
Level Contributor
88 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Hotel recommendations for the following requirements...

I got to learn about that after I booked my flights :( If I had known before, I wouldn't have booked for those dates, for sure! This is a lesson learned. I will check next time.

What I'm after is for a rate of approximately £160-£180 per night....

Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
2,116 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Hotel recommendations for the following requirements...

Have you tried looking on Trivago, Booking.com or Travel Republic? Sites like that are your best bet to get some sort of deal.

http://www.trivago.co.uk/

http://www.booking.com/country/gb.en-gb.html

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,370 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Hotel recommendations for the following requirements...

Bridge Hotel at Buttermere fills all your criteria except the last. I couldn't imagine staying in Windermere after spending time there !

Mike

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,370 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Hotel recommendations for the following requirements...

Point being - don't limit yourself to the most well-known destinations. That way you risk missing a gem.

Edited: 23 April 2014, 10:30
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,162 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Hotel recommendations for the following requirements...

Very difficult. Most luxury hotels and B&B's are in the Windermere area, some around the mid belt and a smaller number further north. Accommodation which offers really spectacular views and is easily accessible and reasonably priced is nigh on impossible to find.

How about The Inn on the Lake at Ullswater?

9. Re: Need Hotel recommendations for the following requirements...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2015, 05:15