We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 day visit to Lake District

Zebbug, Malta
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Topic
6 day visit to Lake District

I'm planning to visit the lake district from 6th July for 6 nights.Will be traveling from Birmingham by car and It's my first visit and planning to stay 3 nights in Windermere or a nearby location and 3 nights in or nearby Keswick. Are the locations I have chosen good for sightseeing and which locations to go so that can see most of the lake district. Any good B&B where to stay.

Thanks

Cumbria, England
Level Contributor
670 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 day visit to Lake District

Both locations are good to stay at as regards being central for site seeing. Both will however probably be pricey and starting to get busy as it is peak season. It really depends on what your interests are, what you want to do and what kind of budget you have. It may work out better to stay on the fringes of the lake district....e,g, Penrith or Cockermouth. Both are lovely market towns but still within easy distant of lakes and sightseeing options.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,576 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 day visit to Lake District

I don't think there is any need to stay in 2 different places unless you particularly want to. The Lake District is a small enough place that you could just stay in one place and easily see other bits of it as day trips.

Windermere is more touristy and less good for serious walking. Keswick still gets pretty busy, but not quite as bad as Windermere.

The ideal location really depends on what you want to do when you get there. If you want to mainly get outside and see the scenery, plenty of places would be suitable. If you want to be within easy reach of shops, restaurants, etc, then you're better off limiting yourself to one of the larger towns: Windermere, Keswick, or Ambleside.

Zebbug, Malta
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 day visit to Lake District

Thanks for the info.

I see everything big since I come from the small Island of Malta.

Just want to visit for site seeing and explore the place. Now I intend to stay in one place and not in a major towns somewhere in the outskirts were I can explore the lake district. can anyone suggest a place so that I can reach all places of interest.

Thanks

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
10,824 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 day visit to Lake District

If you don't mind changing your lodging location , I would suggest Pooley Bridge ( at least for one night). I liked their pub. Good( and not too pricey) pub food. Plenty of B&Bs around.

Ullswater is beautiful. A steamer is a must. Ayra Force waterfall is a gem!

Enjoy!!!

Yuri.

San Diego, Ca
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 day visit to Lake District

Last fall we stayed at Bybeck B&B about 5 miles from Keswick in the small village of Grange-in-Borrowdale. The hosts David & Marilyn couldn't have been more helpful in provided us with great information on walks in the area, not to mention the wonderful breakfast each morning. There are reviews here on Tripadvisor, mine included. Reserve early as they tend to fill up. http://www.bybeck.com/

Cumbria, England
Level Contributor
670 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 day visit to Lake District

Keswick is probably the most central location for you as you are within easy distance of Winderemere and the other lakes / attractions.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,576 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 day visit to Lake District

Grasmere is a nice central location, though it does get very busy with tourists in July. If you can find suitable accommodation there and don't mind the crowds, it might do nicely for you, but if you're looking for somewhere a bit more peaceful, then it's probably best avoided.

And of course if you want to be somewhere with good access to other parts of the Lake District, you really can't go wrong with Keswick.

Yuri's suggestion for Ullswater is worth thinking about. It's not so central, and to get to some places you'd have a bit more of a drive, but Ullswater really is a beautiful lake. Personally, I'd prefer to stay at the Glenridding end than at the Pooley Bridge end, but that's mainly because Glenridding has a better selection of more adventurous walks. You can take a steamer from either Pooley Bridge or Glenridding, and there are certainly some nice walks you can do from Pooley Bridge.

Solihull
Level Contributor
3,817 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 day visit to Lake District

>>>Now I intend to stay in one place and not in a major towns somewhere in the outskirts

While it is a good idea to stay in one place, I do suggest you try to stay in or near one of the major towns.

As has been said the Lake District is small enough to get to anywhere and back in a day by car.

But away from the major towns it is hard to find even the basics, a pub, a place to eat, a bank, some shops.

By staying in a place like Ambleside, Keswick, Windermere etc. you get the best of both worlds, you are near plenty of amenities, but also very near the mountains, valleys, lakes etc.

Ambleside is probably the most central place, and is a decent size with plenty of amenities, and by going in each direction from there you will find different lakes and hills.

What do you plan to do when you are here?

While the Lake District is a nice place to drive around, you really only see it at its best when you get out the car and do some walking.

But you do need the right "kit" to walk in the Lake District.

You need some decent walking boots, an anorak, a rucksack, and most of all some maps.

It is easy to get lost in the Lake District, and many a time the mountain rescue teams have to go out at night and find people lost on the fells.

And even in the summer it can rain and you can get soaked and wet and cold very quickly.

So don't underestimate how the hills can be dangerous.

Zebbug, Malta
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 6 day visit to Lake District

Thanks for your advice

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
2,954 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 6 day visit to Lake District

Both locations are fine. Ambleside puts you pretty much in the centre.