We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walks suitable for a family holiday

Level Contributor
125 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Walks suitable for a family holiday

Hi all - we are a family of five, two adults and three teenagers. We are coming over from NI next weekend and are staying for 8 days in Bowness. We have never visited the Lake District before and want to make the best of our trip.

I would love suggestions for scenic walks that may be suitable. We are all fit, however our daughter won't want to spend all day walking. Ideally we would like to visit places like Hilltop etc and fit in a walk as well. My daughter and I don't have walking boots so would this mean our choice will be limited? Any walk from 2-6 hours would be suitable, preferably with a nice coffee shop on route.

Level Contributor
125 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Walks suitable for a family holiday

Thank you Laura - the stone circle is described as the most dramatically sited of all the British stone circles. So definitely want to see it.

Chester
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Walks suitable for a family holiday

Hi,

it is only a short walk to Castle Crag from the stone circle and you have great views across Derwent water.

Keith.

Level Contributor
125 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Walks suitable for a family holiday

Thanks Keith- Castle Crag is described as a unique view. Hope we get the weather to enjoy it!

Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
1,923 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Walks suitable for a family holiday

I think Keith means Walla Crag, Castle Crag is located in Borrowdale near Rosthwaite.

Chester
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Walks suitable for a family holiday

Thanks Dr Cheese,

it is Walla crag.

Although Castle crag is a nice walk it is probably a bit to far for these people to walk from the stone circle, ( 8-9 mile).

Keith.

Level Contributor
125 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Walks suitable for a family holiday

Castle Crag is featured in the the Guardian's list of ten best walks. One website describes it as 'not challenging', but another states that it is 'not suitable for children under 12'. I am wondering should I buy myself a pair of boots and force my daughter to bring hers. Although I have probably left it too late to source a cheap pair. The boys think it is only a matter of picking a fell and starting to walk! How difficult is the walk up to Castle Crag? ( Borger Dair- I think)

Thanks megan

Chester
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Walks suitable for a family holiday

Hi,

you can walk Castle Crag from Rosthwaite or Grange. I think the route is easier from Grange. Start by the café and walk down the lane it is about 1 1/2 miles and about 700 feet climb. As part of the walk is over slate it can be slippery when it is wet but we have been up there with a nine year old and she had no problem. You can always pick up a cheap pair of walking shoes in Keswick. I cannot remember the shop name but the cheapest shop is opposite Stanger street and next to the chip shop and near Museum square.

Keith.

Level Contributor
125 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Walks suitable for a family holiday

Thanks a million Keith. I have walked to the top of Slieve Donard in trainers, but I know the route and the terrain really well. I wouldn't do it if it was wet underfoot. I should really treat myself to a pair, but with three teenagers any spare cash tends to go their way!

Thanks again - I hope we get the weather for all this walking!

Megan:)

Level Contributor
125 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Walks suitable for a family holiday

Hi all - we have arrived in the Lake District and are loving it! So far we have completed two of the suggested Grasmere walks. Lovely!

I would be grateful if someone could clarify the route from Hawkshead to Tarn Hows. Which car park should we start at?

Also we are visiting Keswick on Tues and were wondering how easy it would be to walk from Keswick to Latrigg? From the web it seems easy from Dale Road car park. Could anyone direct me to it?

Thank you all in anticipation of your help.

Also we

20. Re: Walks suitable for a family holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2015, 05:16