We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gastro pubs, toddler activities, picnic spots, paddling area

Hull, England
Level Contributor
104 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Gastro pubs, toddler activities, picnic spots, paddling area

Hi All

Big subject heading I know but any info appreciated

Been a long time since I visited the area but my wife and I are staying in a cottage in Bowness with our 18 month old daughter in mid September

While evening meals are out with no baby sitter we like nice pubs with good food and would like some good recommendations where we can go for lunch within 20 mile radius

Any info on toddler activities, parks, play areas etc

Nice picnic spots if the weather is good

When I was a child and visited the area I always remember paddling but have forgotten the best areas. Any advice on nice streams, lake shores etc for my daughter to splash around in

Any help and advice appreciated

Many thanks, John

Kendal, United...
Level Contributor
269 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gastro pubs, toddler activities, picnic spots, paddling area

Fell Foot Park, south of Bowness, is always a popular place to take children for a paddle in the lake. There is a playground, plenty of grass to run around on and pleasant views up the lake. There is a cafe selling basic food and drinks, or it is a great place for a picnic (perhaps from Booths supermarket next to Windermere train station).The park is owned by the National Trust, you will have to pay for parking if you are not members.

It is also possible to take the pedestrian ferry to Lakeside on the other side, where you can visit the aquarium or take a short steam train ride on the Haverthwaite railway.

The east shore of Derwentwater just south of Keswick, about 20-25 miles from Bowness, is also a good place for a paddle. There are some small beach areas with amazing views down the lake. You can either park in the Lake road car park in Keswick and walk down to the shore past the Theatre on the Lake, or park further down the lake. Plenty of great child friendly places in Keswick to have lunch.

Another place is on the shores of Ullswater at Glenridding. The drive is scenic - over Kirkstone Pass and will take about 30 mins. Follow the signs for the steamer when entering Glenridding. There is a car park near the steamer jetty, and a nice grassy area with paddling in the lake. The trip up the lake to Pooley Bridge and back on the steamer is very worthwhile. There are several good places for lunch in both Glenridding and Pooley Bridge. The Inn on the Lake is a favourite if you want something a little special.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
750 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gastro pubs, toddler activities, picnic spots, paddling area

There are lovely picnic spots, views and a pushchair friendly walk at Tarn Hows. This link tells you more: where2walk.co.uk/lake_district/…

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gastro pubs, toddler activities, picnic spots, paddling area

Cumbriagirl has already suggested some good places. To add to that there is the visitor centre at Brockhole on the way from Windermere to Ambleside. There is an excellent kids play area here. Also in case of rainy days there is an indoor kids play area called rufty tuftys in Ambleside.

Pubs - the Masons Arms, The Watermill, The Hare and Hounds, The Kirkstile Inn, The Punchbowl.

4. Re: Gastro pubs, toddler activities, picnic spots, paddling area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2015, 05:17