We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week in Ambleside in August with 2 kids and a dog

Leeds, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
A week in Ambleside in August with 2 kids and a dog

What to do with them, please?

I have images of lovely family walks, beautiful scenery etc.

The kids will change that and be grumpy and miserable so I need plenty of Plan Bs, please. They are 5 and 2.

Dog recovering from cancer so want him to loads of amazing walks and swimming if he's allowed.

Also, am I allowed to bring my own rubber dinghy to use in any of the lakes?

Windermere, United...
Level Contributor
394 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A week in Ambleside in August with 2 kids and a dog

Yep you can use your own rubber dinghy there are lots of places. Nearest is probably Borrans Park www.lakedistrictwiki.co.uk/Borrans_Park you can easily walk from Ambleside, have a picnic etc.

You could also drive out to any number of local lakes Rydal, Grasmere most if not all within 45 minutes.

The other place I would recommend is Brockhole, an old house in enormous lakefront grounds, my favourite place as a child with an enormous play area - outdoor - lots of activities especially over the summer holidays. I think they have just opened a family wildlife centre too. It's about a 10 minute drive from Ambleside, free of charge but you do pay for parking. The other option would be to take a boat from Waterhead, nr Ambleside although I'm unsure if your dog would be allowed on the boat. Plenty of space for the dog at Brockhole and can even going swimming in the lake. The cafe also has outdoor seating so again your dog will be fine, if the rain stops by then!

http://www.brockhole.co.uk/index

Slightly further a field in Bowness - 4 miles, again you could drive or get the boat, is The World Of Beatrix Potter, I think your children would enjoy this if you want an indoor activity.

Let me know if you want any more ideas

Leeds, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A week in Ambleside in August with 2 kids and a dog

Fantastic.

Thanks for your reply.

3. Re: A week in Ambleside in August with 2 kids and a dog

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2013, 10:16
Get answers to your questions about Ambleside
Recent Conversations