We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Ambleside (three day break)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
473 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do in Ambleside (three day break)

Hello

This is my first trip to the Lake District and I’m very much looking forward to my little break. I am staying in Ambleside (Lake Road, LA22 area), which is to the north of Windermere Lake.

I am arriving on a Friday afternoon and will leave on Monday evening. I would be grateful of any suggestions of things to see or do in the area.

We are two adults, mid-thirties, who enjoy going on scenic walks (not too strenuous or long), visiting cultural points of interest. We have a car so can drive.

Any suggestions will be very gratefully received.

Thank you

Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
2,116 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in Ambleside (three day break)

Check out this link, plenty of ideas there:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g186318-Activi…

Or this one:

http://www.golakes.co.uk/do/attractions/#

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
682 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in Ambleside (three day break)

Your comment of liking walks that are not too strenuous or long is a little subjective! Depending on when you're going on your trip it could be busy over a weekend, and to get a full flavour of the area for your first visit a walk would be good. If the weather is looking nice for the Saturday or Sunday you could consider walking around Rydal Water near Grasmere. Grasmere itself is a charming village (but a honeypot for tourists). The walk is around 5 miles and easy apart from one uphill road stretch near the beginning - the rest is fairly flat but boots or at the least decent shoes would be needed. We took our time and drank n the views and it took us about 4 hours, including a stop for lunch. If you want details let me know and I'll send you a link.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
473 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in Ambleside (three day break)

You’re right …. I do enjoy walks but not 12 mile walks that will take me all day to complete. Sorry they were the walks I was meaning I did not want to do.

I’d like to do a couple of walks, ideally ones that have somewhere to stop for lunch on the walk and stops for a pint along the way too.

Your walk sounds perfect so yes if you could send me a link that would be great, thank you. When you say ‘drank n the views’ does that mean a stop at a pub along the way?

I’m travelling a week on Friday (so yes could be busy but at least children have not yet finished for their summer holidays) till the Monday.

I was also considering Rydal Water so your walk does sound perfect. Do you have any other suggestions of walks or other things to do?

I have good walking boots so will be fine with those.

Thank you

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
682 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in Ambleside (three day break)

http://www.walklakes.co.uk/walk_76.html - this is the one we followed. The first section follows the road and is fairly steep, but it doesn't last long. And you appear to be on my wavelength re lunch time! At step 2, when you pass the church on your left and reach the crossroads, if you turn right there's a pub a hundred yards along. What we did though was turned left at the church and crossed the bridge per the instructions, then after a few hundred yards cam to a delightful small hotel called Cote How I think. It has tables in the garden and we sat with a good sandwich and tiny wee glass of chardonnay in the sunshine - pretty nearly paradise. A little further along you can either take the high path by the caves or follow the lakeside round on the flat path. It was a fantastic walk with gorgeous views and just right for our level of mediocre fitness!

Not that I'm obsessed by the evil drink but if it rains hard the Jennings Brewery tour in Cockermouth is very good, and the food in the café excellent!

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
682 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in Ambleside (three day break)

Me again. Sorry, I should have said when the church is on your right, not left!

If you feel the need to go on a boat on a lake (never really seen the need myself) you may be better avoiding Windermere due to the crowds. You could go to Glenridding (about half hour drive I think) and go on a steamer on Ullswater which is a really pretty lake.

Chester
Level Contributor
2,543 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do in Ambleside (three day break)

Hi,

following on from the last post.

Glenridding to Howtown by boat and 6 mile lake shore walk back.

The walk to Grasmere we usually do over Loughrigg from Ambleside then drop down to the terrace and connect with the path along Rydal back to Ambleside.

Keith.

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,370 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do in Ambleside (three day break)

Another vote for the excellent brewery tour in Cockermouth.

Mike

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
473 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do in Ambleside (three day break)

I don’t have a particularly strong desire to go on a boat trip .... however I am looking to do nice, scenic activities so your suggestion of driving to Glenridding (do you have a post code or somewhere where I should aim for to park?) in order to get the steamer and then going to Howtown sounds like a good suggestion.

Is this a frequent boat service? What I mean is I don’t really want to be in Glenridding waiting two hours for the steamer. Is it at least an hourly boat trip? Then if I got off at Howtown is it very easy to get back to Glenridding. I mean I shouldn’t need a map should I? Simply follow the lake path back to Glenridding?

Keith – I haven’t had chance to print off the link to the walk which Nildesperanda has kindly provided but are you suggesting that I can do this walk and start it from Ambleside without first having to drive to the starting point suggested on that walk? I don’t know how far the start of the walk is from where I’m staying. Ideally I’d prefer it if I didn’t have to drive.

Thank you

9. Re: Things to do in Ambleside (three day break)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 December 2015, 17:42
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
732 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do in Ambleside (three day break)

You could easily do the suggested walk from Ambleside, it would add about 2.5 miles and an extra hour to it.

Walk along the main road out of Ambleside, at the edge of the town there's a footpath on your right signposted to Rydal, this takes you across the fields and through the grounds of Rydal Hall. when you exit from Rydal Hall, turn up the lane and you are on the Old Coffin route to Grasmere. On your return from Grasmere along Loughrigg terrace beside Rydal Water, instead of following the lakeside to the end, take the higher path which comes out beside the hump backed bridge. Then take the Under Loughrigg Road past Field Foot and the stepping stones which will bring you back to Ambleside.

Get answers to your questions about Ambleside