We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week in Ambleside

Which Ambleside hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Zurrieq, Malta
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
A week in Ambleside

I'm going to spend a week together with a group of 4 adults in Ambleside in mid-summer.

What are some attractions to visit? Are there any waterfalls and natural attractions which are easy to reach? Which nearby towns or villages are worth a visit? We're going to have a rental car. Also, which is the most nearby city that is worth a visit - Blackpool, Liverpool or Manchester? Please bear in mind that my trip companions are adults of a certain age! (all of them are over 60 years old).

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A week in Ambleside

If it's waterfalls you want, then it's worth going to Aira Force. It's a bit of a drive from Ambleside (about 40 minutes or so, IIRC), but it's a very scenic drive, so you should enjoy the journey. Spend some time admiring Ullswater while you're there.

I note that your companions are in their second flush of youth, but how active are they? Do you plan to be mostly in the car or in cafes, or are you up for a bit of hiking? There are natural attractions galore in the Lake District, but some of them are easier to see on foot.

Personally, I'm not sure I'd bother visiting any of the cities you mention. They're all fine cities, but they're also quite a drive from the Lake District. If there was a particular reason for you wanting to go there, that would be one thing, but since you're asking which one to visit, I'm guessing that there isn't.

If you do fancy going on a longer drive, then the Roman fort at Vindolanda is fascinating. IIRC it will take a little over an hour to get there.

Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A week in Ambleside

The waterfall of Stock Ghyll Force is only a short walk from the centre of Ambleside. We did it a few years ago when our kids were small, I seem to remember it was a bit overgrown back then but I don't know what it's like these days.

Zurrieq, Malta
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A week in Ambleside

Thanks a lot for your reply. My companions would enjoy short walks (an hour or so), as long as they are easy walks. So we're up for a bit of easy hiking, for sure... Please, do you have any other ideas? Are there any suitable picnic areas? I'm planning this holiday for my mother and her 3 sisters... They deserve it so much, and I want to make it for them as enjoyable as possible.

Windermere
Level Contributor
119 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A week in Ambleside

Take a picnic on any walk and there will be lots of opportunity to enjoy it. A short drive north of Ambleside are a lot of easy walks. If you park in the car park at White Moss Common, between Rydal Water and Grasmere there are lots of options. I would recommend visiting Brockhole when you first arrive. It's the main Tourist Information Centre situated between Windermere and Ambleside. They will provide you with all you need to make the most of your stay. It would also be worth visiting the Lake District National Park's website to inspire you before you get here. If you don't fancy driving its possible to get around easily with the Stagecoach buses. You can check out their routes online and pick up a timetable when you arrive. If you have any other interests let us know so we can help.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,798 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A week in Ambleside

A cruise on the Lake?

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g190820-…

In Ambleside there is a good spot for a picnic near the Lake near the Wateredge Inn.

But picnic spots are never hard to find.

Booths supermarket adjacent to the railway station in Windermere is a good place to get picnic goodies.

A nice level (ish ) walk is around Tarn Hows.

nationaltrust.org.uk/coniston-and-little-lan…

http://www.visitcumbria.com/amb/tarn-hows/

Then carry on to

Coniston

Another town is Keswick for

Ashness Bridge and Surprise View plus continue up to Watendlath

nationaltrust.org.uk/wra-1356299840097/…

Then have a nice cuppa in the tea room at Grange whilst you are in that neck of the woods.

Hawkshead

If you want a complete change then a day out in Blackpool ?

It can be tawdry tacky and..................

Lots of fun , fun , fun

About an hour and a half from Ambleside and if you take it in the right spirit you can have a great day out, best avoided at weekends and certainly at night time when it becomes overrun with stag/hen parties.

But everyone should go to Blackpool at least once.

Candy floss, kiss me quick hats the whole seaside caboodle

Edited: 05 February 2014, 16:47
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A week in Ambleside

Stock Ghyll Force is good. We went in July 2013 and it wasn't overgrown. A lovely walk with seats in places.

Take a walk and cruise trip on the lake. Boat from Ambleside Head to the castle opposite then walk a couple of miles, boat back across the lake, to Bowness, then another boost back to Ambleside. We had a great time out on this trip. It's a special ticket you can buy at the pier. Easy walking. Just hope for some lovely weather. :)

Angie

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A week in Ambleside

One of the best easy walks, in terms of getting maximum view for minimum effort, is to climb to the summit of Latrigg, just north of Keswick.

If climbing to the summit of a fell sounds too much like hard work, fear not, as there is a car park at the back of the fell which is most of the way to the summit. It's really a very easy walk from the car park, and then you have splendid views over Keswick and the surrounding area.

Another easy walk (might be a bit more than an hour, but shouldn't be too much more) is to do a circuit around the lake at Grasmere. That has the merit that it's really not far from Ambleside, and also that the village of Grasmere is a pleasant (if a little touristy) place to have a look round and find somewhere for tea & scones.

Here's a description of one possible route:

where2walk.co.uk/lake_district/…

Zurrieq, Malta
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A week in Ambleside

Is it recommendable to rent a car or hire a taxi? I intend to spend most of the time in Lake District and nearby countryside. Perhaps a visit to Lancaster and Blackpool, and still considering whether to make a one day trip to Liverpool or Newcastle.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A week in Ambleside

If you can rent a car I would do that. You'll be able visit places that are more remote and really spectacular.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A week in Ambleside

I'd strongly recommend using buses, it's only £26 for a weeks travel including Central Lakes, Carlisle, Blackpool, Lancaster and Newcastle.

Get answers to your questions about Ambleside
Recent Conversations