We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transport to Great Langdale from Windermere?

London, England...
Level Contributor
3 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Public transport to Great Langdale from Windermere?

I am very excited to have booked a stay in a shepherd's hut in July with my two boys. We will be travelling up from London on the train to Windermere then need to get to our campsite near Dungeon Ghyll. I've read that there is a bus 516 to get us there, but not sure where it starts from? Any idea how much this would cost & also if I will need to change buses? Alternatively I wonder how much a taxi would be? I appreciate it won't be a straightforward journey but once on site we will do all our exploring from there on foot.

Many thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transport to Great Langdale from Windermere?

There is no direct bus from Windermere to the Old Dungeon Ghyll. Several buses from Windermere to Ambleside and then 516 to the Langdale valley. Buy an All day explorer pass...should be around £10 per person.

London, England...
Level Contributor
3 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transport to Great Langdale from Windermere?

Great, thank you :-)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transport to Great Langdale from Windermere?

More details here - times of 516

cumbria.gov.uk/eLibrary/…4171894641.pdf

and map of buses services in the Lakes

cumbria.gov.uk/eLibrary/…40863143216.pdf

London, England...
Level Contributor
3 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public transport to Great Langdale from Windermere?

Thanks to the info provided this was very straightforward and we had a great holiday. We got straight on a lovely open- top bus at Windermere station into Ambleside, then waited for the Langdale Rambled to Dungeon Ghyll. The driver very kindly dropped us right outside our campsite. For future reference, I saved about £6 on the return by getting a single to Windermere from Dungeon Ghyll, on our outward journey I just paid for each leg on the two buses which was more expensive as I didn't realise I could purchase a single ticket for the journey.

5. Re: Public transport to Great Langdale from Windermere?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2015, 14:16
Get answers to your questions about Ambleside